Questions about traveling while OPT/EAD application is pending for non-commuting student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M4 with a med school program end date in the first week of June. I start residency in the last week of June. I will be applying for OPT/EAD for intern year. I am a non-commuter with an apartment in the US.

Will I be able to travel out of the US while my application for OPT/EAD is pending? Additionally, at what point will I NOT be able to travel?

My international student advisor said that as a non-commuter, I am unable to travel PERIOD while the OPT/EAD application is pending. She also said that I cannot change my status to commuter to circumvent the issue. However, I am seeing different things mentioned in other places.

I also know that if the EAD card gets approved, I will need to travel with it in hand so it would have to be mailed to me from my US address if I am outside of the US at that time. However, I hear that after approval, the EAD card can take a while to arrive to the US address. Does that mean I won't be able to travel until the EAD card arrives to the US address and that card is then shipped to my home country?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For travel, a valid visa and I-20 are the critical ingredients. I think the reason you would want to wait for your OPT approval and the documents is that how would you justify to border agents why they should let you back into the country if your program is complete and you have no documentation that you are returning because of your OPT job. And yes it can take a while before you actually get the OPT card. I received mine days after my internship officially begun, even though I had the notice of approval and it was quite stressful but in the end it all worked out. Traveling when your status is in any form of change is generally not recommended because you don’t know what type of border agent you may meet. Maybe it will be fine, but do you want to take the risk?

how would you justify to border agents why they should let you back into the country if your program is complete and you have no documentation that you are returning because of your OPT job
So it seems then that a pending OPT applicant should not travel if he has completed his medical school studies. However, what about before completion of medical school? If I tell the border officer that I am crossing the border to attend my medical school, would that likely cause any issues?

If you haven’t completed medical school, then you should be able to travel if you have a valid I-20 and a valid visa or are able to renew your visa when you travel. Your answer at border patrol when returning will be that you are returning to complete your studies. Definitely clarify these concerns with an International advisor at your program prior to any travel.