daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys,

Our class just started our first year here at UAB on July 6th. If you have any questions about the school, the NEW curriculum, testing, interviewing procedures, how many in class, or anything at all then just ask. You can message me or you can ask on here.

Last year I also interviewed and was accepted at UT-Memphis, MCG, Pitt, and NOVA so if you have questions about the interviews there, don't hesitate to ask. I will do my best to provide answers.

Thanks guys, just trying to help.

David

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student
Lol crazy - a full 2 and a half months before I start school. Goodluck future colleague! Change your status to Dental Student ;-)

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for reminding me to change my status. Good luck to you as well!

WildBill

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2009
Georgia
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey man, I've also applied to some of those schools (Ga resident). What kind of scores/gpa did you have? Were you a first year applicant?

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
It is on my predents. Yeah, I was a first year applicant. Graduated from UGA. GPA was around a 3.79 for overal and 3.75 for science. My AA and TS was a 22 and my PAT was 19. A friend of mine was accepted with a similar GPA and with a slightly lower AA but a PAT of 23. Don't sweat it man, we knew people getting interviews and getting accepted with much lower scores than that. Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

GoldTigerPirate

I'm on a boat
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Why did you choose UAB over the other programs?
How has your experience been so far?

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
I'll answer the interview question first.

I don't think any of them were "difficult". UAB and Pitt were the most intimidating for me. Pitt because you show up and there are about 50 people there interviewing with you. Honestly, there were a lot of people so you just get a feel for your competition. The interview itself was not really so bad. UAB was tough for me because it was my first interview that was a group. You basically sit on the end of a table while 5 people ask you questions (not tough questions). That alone was hard for me to comprehend until I was actually in the interview where they made me feel quite comfortable. If I had to say which was "hardest", it would be MCG. You have 2 one on one interviews, and they actually ask some tough questions depending on the interviewer that is assigned to you. I had some tough questions, you have just have to be more prepared than I was :). I guess I did okay though.

Honestly, choosing UAB over my state school (MCG) was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. I chose UAB for a few reasons. One, clinical experience. We enter the clinic here in SEPTEMBER as assistants. We also start radiology rotations THIS semester which is our first. As part of the new curriculum, we have ethics, communication, and sociology courses that help us better understand our patients. This is unheard of in other schools. Other than that, I loved the city and I loved the people. They made me feel welcome. I thought they wanted me instead of the school saying you want us. I hope that makes sense.

My experience thus far has been pretty amazing. I love my class and I can see myself already loving the school...I mean it is still school though...:-/. They kind of ease you into the program here. First semester, we start off going 9-5 with an afternoon off, and about a month in we go 10-5 with an afternoon off. That doesn't mean it is easy though. They hit us pretty hard in January I hear.

I hope this helps! Anymore questions, just post. Let me know if this information is actually helping you guys.

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Also, I am typing this pretty fast so my apologies for grammar/spelling mistakes!

Jun 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey David! I have an interview scheduled at NOVA for october 8 and I'm really nervous. I was wondering if you had any advice or if you have any helpful information regarding the interview. Please let me know! THanks so much

Jun 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
haha thanks for that comparison... since I am applying to both UAB and Pitt. What about living? Is it easy to find places to live around UAB?

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
One, I know this is hard to understand, but don't be nervous. Nova was on of my favorite interviews! It was really beautiful. It was hot though. Haha. You will have a good time there. Basically, they talk to you, feed you, then give you a tour. The bad thing about that is the tour is given by freshmen so their information was a bit limited about later years. The interview itself was very comfortable. There were two men in my interview. It was basically a conversation. You might not have the same experience as me, but we talked about football the entire time. :-/ They were so nice and I know even if we didn't talk about football, it would have been just as enjoyable.

Good luck!

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, there are plenty of options for living around Birmingham. I rent a house with a girlfriend. There weer so many options with so many price ranges. There were so many apartments with good prices with so many areas to choose from. I didn't get to experience that though. I'm sorry. My search was focused on houses for my dogs. :-(

Simply, the answer to your question is yes. It is quite easy to find a place to live. One guy in my class moved here with his wife in a moving truck and stayed in a hotel for 3 days and moved into an apartment on the fourth day. He said he could have made a decision faster, but he wanted to see more options.

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
bump

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
What's your typical (daily) study schedule?

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
That is a hard question to answer at the moment. Honestly, I only study for a maximum of two hours a day at the moment and that is RARE. Here, they ease you into the program with some class such as ethics and sociology for the first month while taking a preclinic/anatomy course along with dental anatomy. Then, we start "fundamentals" next Monday which is supposed to raise the bar quite a bit. January is when real dental school starts according to the current sophomores. They were the first class to experience the new curriculum here.

I can't really give you a straight answer at the moment. I can always give you an update as things go along though.

OP
D

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Hiking? Not really. We don't really start Volker until Monday. From our parking lot to Volker, it is only about a 10-15 minute walk and a little faster if you speed walk. It really is not that bad. After Volker, we have to walk to the school and at the end of the day, we walk back to wherever we parked. That walk is a little bit longer. :-( Honestly, it isn't that bad and it kind of wakes you up in the morning. Alabama humidity sucks though, as I'm sure you know since you have already attended UAB.

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey daviddav! I was wondering if you could update us on how your first year went at UAB. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey David, I am interviewing this Wednesday, it is my first interview, and am a little nervous about some of the questions they may ask. I am pretty personable so I think I should do fine,but do you remember any questions that you found difficult to answer? Also I did not know that was the format of their interview, is it just one interview but with several people in the room.? Im glad you said something because that would have been intimidating if I had not known. Thanks for your help!!

Aug 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey David, I am interviewing this Wednesday, it is my first interview, and am a little nervous about some of the questions they may ask. I am pretty personable so I think I should do fine,but do you remember any questions that you found difficult to answer? Also I did not know that was the format of their interview, is it just one interview but with several people in the room.? Im glad you said something because that would have been intimidating if I had not known. Thanks for your help!!
Sorry, I'm not David; however, I interviewed at UAB in September, so I feel like I can chime in.

Intro: The five to seven of you will be waiting in the main lobby of dental school in the morning. Dr. Filler (dean of adcom) will come find you guys personally to greet you all. He's a very personable guy - not intimidating at all! Then he will hand you guys over to a dental student to take a tour of the school. After the tour, you guys will eat lunch in a big conference room with a bunch of dental school students; they are there for free lunch :D After lunch, all of you (the interviewers) will go down to the lobby and wait to go into the interview one person at a time. Out of the 6 people that were with me on my interview day, I was the 3rd person to go...lol

So Dr. Filler will come get you in the lobby and he will introduce you to the other 4 interviewers: 3 other professors/alumni and 1 student in addition to Dr. Filler himself.

The setting: a big oval table with five interviewers sitting around it facing toward you, who will be sitting at the one of the two heads of the table. Dr. Filler will be sitting at the other head of the table. The room is very cramped - maybe 10 ft by 10 ft. The questions will be asked by one interviewer at a time. So while one interviewer is asking questions, others may be sifting through your file to stay with the question or to think of other questions. Make sure you make eye contact with EVERY person at the table; don't just look at the person that asked you the question.

The questions: Why dentistry? Why UAB? What other schools have you applied to? Your DAT score? What do you do with free time? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Tell me about your volunteer experience. If you have research, tell me about that, too. Any clubs in college? Strengths? Weaknesses? What's your favorite book/movie/music/dessert (this one particular interviewer of the five likes this question a lot)? How do you think you can contribute to the incoming student body this year? The questions are very standard, and they just want to get to know you.

The end: once you are done with the questions, Dr. Filler will lead you out of the room. Then it's bye bye.

My view: The toughest part is to get engage ALL of them with each and EVERY question. Most likely you'll be talking to 2-3 people who are looking at you while the other two are looking in your file. Also, lean forward to give off the impression of "engagement and interest".

If you have any more questions, just shoot me a PM.

Ciao and good luck!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks TK, that was some great info.. I feel a little more comfortable now that I know what to expect. I graduated from UA, so I will be there to represent the good ole state of Alabama. Hopefully, if all goes well, we will meet as the entering class of 2011!! Thanks again.

Mike

Stacker

n = 1
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2009
Status
Congratulations on acceptance!

One question: With your kind of GPA, DAT, and extra., why do you think VCU would reject you?

I'm interested in what you think because I'm wishing to go to VCU.

Mar 9, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Status
Dental Student
Just had my interview at UAB a moth or so ago. The interview day started at 11 and basically everyone was out by 2:30-3. There is basically a tour, lunch, and then interviews. It is quite short which is nice in a lot of ways, but a little disappointing in other ways (didn't get a lot of time to think of and ask questions).

swerdna05120

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 27, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
Just had my interview at UAB a moth or so ago. The interview day started at 11 and basically everyone was out by 2:30-3. There is basically a tour, lunch, and then interviews. It is quite short which is nice in a lot of ways, but a little disappointing in other ways (didn't get a lot of time to think of and ask questions).

Thanks for the reply Prince. I had mine this past Wednesday, 30th. I didn't get out until 4 actually. But there were 7 other interviewees there and I was the last one. I have my fingers crossed now for a "good news" call. Congrats on your acceptance btw. I saw your post on the acceptance thread. I sure hope I can add to the thread sometime soon! Take care bud. :)

Downsouth1886

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Status
Hey david,

What do you think the chances are of someone with around a 3.09 BS in Biomedical Sciences getting into UAB?

Mar 9, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Status
Dental Student
Hey david,

What do you think the chances are of someone with around a 3.09 BS in Biomedical Sciences getting into UAB?
I am not David, but I was just accepted for entry into this upcoming class. From the research I have done, it seems like it would be very difficult to get into UAB with a 3.09 GPA. They recommend students have a 3.3 or better (AKA if you don't have a 3.3 your application should be flawless otherwise). They have one of the top ~10 highest average entering GPAs (3.6-3.7), so it is obvious they put great emphasis on that. Have you taken the DAT?

justforkicks

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2009
Status
Dental Student
i dont know if david hangs around SDN much anymore, but please feel free to PM me if you have questions about UAB. i am a current 2nd year student.