Questions about verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PltEnthusiast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have tried all techniques (Kaplan, EK, people here on SDN) but at the end I get the impression that unless you understand the passage there isn't any other way out.

Is that true? Because if it is then I am screwed. English is my second language and I am very weak in historical and political type passages especially. I don't know what to do?

Does anybody have an advice about any tricks that can be employed when reading a passage? If I take all my sweet time to go through the passage, I get all of the answers right but reading it fast is when I am screwed. I can't seem to have a grasp on any tricks or shortcuts that I can use to answer the questions or read the passages faster and understand them at once.

Any advice would help :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,
I have tried all techniques (Kaplan, EK, people here on SDN) but at the end I get the impression that unless you understand the passage there isn't any other way out.

Is that true? Because if it is then I am screwed. English is my second language and I am very weak in historical and political type passages especially. I don't know what to do?

Does anybody have an advice about any tricks that can be employed when reading a passage? If I take all my sweet time to go through the passage, I get all of the answers right but reading it fast is when I am screwed. I can't seem to have a grasp on any tricks or shortcuts that I can use to answer the questions or read the passages faster and understand them at once.

Any advice would help :(

I used to read the passage in 3 minutes and answer the question in 5 minutes. However, my score shot up when I gave myself an extra minute to read the passage. I started reading the passage in 4 minutes and giving myself 4-5 minutes to answer the questions. Read the passage slow, move through the questions fast. By reading the passage a bit slower, you can understand it better and thus answer the questions faster. And don't go back to the passage-that'll kill your time. Try this.

Verbal is the best part of the MCAT for me, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

You don't need to understand everything in the passage by any means. In fact, it may be dwelling on specific parts of a passage you don't understand completely that is hindering your score.

MCAT verbal is very holistic in nature. You can rarely find the answers in the passage. It's more of a "Who would agree with this person?" or "What would this person disagree with?" etc

Therefore if you end a passage knowing "Wow, the author really hates x because of y" (not necessarily super specific) then you have a good chance of understanding the questions, imo.

Deep breaths and don't read over the same passage too many times. If you don't understand a line of text the first time because of language issues, the 5th time will only frustrate you more.

Trust me, I made this mistake a lot while learning German and Japanese. Never did reading it the 5th time make me go "OMG, I now know what that string of words means!" It's the same thing when you have no idea what something means in English.

Good luck!

You don't need to understand everything in the passage by any means. In fact, it may be dwelling on specific parts of a passage you don't understand completely that is hindering your score.

MCAT verbal is very holistic in nature. You can rarely find the answers in the passage. It's more of a "Who would agree with this person?" or "What would this person disagree with?" etc

Therefore if you end a passage knowing "Wow, the author really hates x because of y" (not necessarily super specific) then you have a good chance of understanding the questions, imo.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better