Questions AFTER ICO interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeopt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had my interview at ICO last week. I felt that the interview went well but now I'm starting to flip out. I was wondering if anyone knows how many seats are filled at the school. And how important is the essay that we had to write? My essay was short because I was trying to be concise, but I am starting to think that I should have written more. Exactly what are they looking for in the interview? Communication skills, personality? If its just that then I am pretty confident but I keep stressing myself out over the fact that I didn't say some things that I had planned to say. I feel that I portrayed my motivation and passion for optometry well but the pessimist in me is kind of bringing me down. Does anyone know how the decision is made? Is it solely up to the interviewer at this point? Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Wannabeopt, could you tell a lilttle bit about ICO interview questions they asked? Next week I will go for interview. Thanks.

Hi,

I had my interview at ICO last week. I felt that the interview went well but now I'm starting to flip out. I was wondering if anyone knows how many seats are filled at the school. And how important is the essay that we had to write? My essay was short because I was trying to be concise, but I am starting to think that I should have written more. Exactly what are they looking for in the interview? Communication skills, personality? If its just that then I am pretty confident but I keep stressing myself out over the fact that I didn't say some things that I had planned to say. I feel that I portrayed my motivation and passion for optometry well but the pessimist in me is kind of bringing me down. Does anyone know how the decision is made? Is it solely up to the interviewer at this point? Any feedback is appreciated!

call them tomorrow after 12p Central time. They'll have the decision by then if you had the interview last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was like a casual conversation. I was asked how I decided to pursue optometry, what I did for fun, how I balanced work and school, things like that. Nothing too hard. You're just talking about yourself. There's a whole list of questions specific to each school in the Optometry Interview Feedback section at the bottom of the page. You'll find all the possible questions there. It wasn't bad at all but I can't stop stressing! :scared:

The interview was like a casual conversation. I was asked how I decided to pursue optometry, what I did for fun, how I balanced work and school, things like that. Nothing too hard. You're just talking about yourself. There's a whole list of questions specific to each school in the Optometry Interview Feedback section at the bottom of the page. You'll find all the possible questions there. It wasn't bad at all but I can't stop stressing! :scared:

Hey, I highly doubt the essay matters that much. It's impossible to write anything well in 10 minutes, I thought mine was terrible but I just made sure my grammar and spelling was okay. So don't stress too much about the essay.

Its pretty late in the cycle right now so...not sure how many spots are left though their fb group only has 83 members so far.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/148575658587326/

Hey, I highly doubt the essay matters that much. It's impossible to write anything well in 10 minutes, I thought mine was terrible but I just made sure my grammar and spelling was okay. So don't stress too much about the essay.

Its pretty late in the cycle right now so...not sure how many spots are left though their fb group only has 83 members so far.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/148575658587326/

There are people who don't have Facebook (myself included) and others who do may not have decided to join, so the Facebook group might not be the best measure to go by.

You can always call admissions to find out how many seats are left and/or how many are already on the waiting list.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of your essay. I've heard that the main purpose of the interview essay is to check if your writing style matches that of your personal statement to make sure that someone else didn't write it for you. That's just a rumor I heard, but it kind of makes sense. The interview essay question was fairly similar to the personal statement question, so I don't think they really learn anything new about you from it.