Questions and concerning regarding cheating IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_hulk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently doing a DIY post bacc and am getting ready to apply for this upcoming cycle and had a concern. Although I had a rough academic start to my undergraduate career I have a 3.8 GPA in my last 80 credits and have been working as hard as I can to be as competitive as I can in regard to my application.

However there is one rather concerning blemish. In my sophomore year of undergrad I was charged with cheating on a lab report in organic chemistry II lab. I was accused for one question at the end of the lab report which asked to draw out a mechanism - I had the same mechanism drawn as my lab partners but the mechanism was incorrect so the TA turned it into the professor who turned it into the honor council. The honor council found me guilty of cheating as they stated we were not allowed to receive any aid from anyone except the TA or professor, even though we worked on the lab with our lab partner. I honestly was not aware of this until I was charged with this but my ignorance is not an excuse.

I am very ashamed and embarrassed of my poor judgment and wrong choice and am worried that this may really hinder me from getting into any medical school. I take responsibility of my mistake and ever since this incident I have made sure to diligently follow the guidelines that have been given and actively make sure to avoid any possible incident of cheating/plagiarism/unethical behavior of any sort.

Although there is no indication of this incident on my transcript, I was still planning on indicating how I was found guilty of this in my application as I do not want to say multiple lies in order to cover one mistake.

This incident occurred 3 years ago (sophomore year); I wanted to see if enough time has passed for me to show that I have matured and will not make the same mistake again. I have read other threads where applicants have been labeled as "dead on arrival" due to IAs and just wanted to see if I also fall under that category or if I still have a chance to get in somewhere.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated @Goro @LizzyM

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Members don't see this ad.

This is relatively minor, and the fact that it happened at least three years ago is a good thing. The more time you put between the incident and your application, the better

Reactions: 2 users
This is relatively minor, and the fact that it happened at least three years ago is a good thing. The more time you put between the incident and your application, the better
Thank you for your thoughts and prompt response. Do you think my app would be deemed DOA if I apply this cycle or do you think I still have a chance to attain interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
It might depend on how well you own the cheating (I’m not sure I would continually use the word accident when explaining it.) And what you have specifically done to grow and learn from this incident.

Reactions: 3 users
It might depend on how well you own the cheating (I’m not sure I would continually use the word accident when explaining it.) And what you have specifically done to grow and learn from this incident.
I take full responsibility for the cheating and admit that the act was committed due to my poor judgment and inability to adhere to the guidelines of the course. I have done some mentoring with younger students at the community center that I attend and emphasized the importance of integrity and accountability not only in the academic world but in real life situations. Ever since this incident I have made sure to fully understand the guidelines of each course and fully abide by them.

Reactions: 1 user
Really depends upon the rest of your app.
I have an upward trend of 3.8 in my last 80 credits (cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.07)
514 MCAT
1100 Medical Scribe hours
300 non-clinical volunteering hours
120 clinical volunteering hours
200 research hours - 1 publication
Leadership positions in multiple student organizations
Preceptor/TA for upper level science course
5 great LORs

After considering these other components of my application, do you think I have a chance?
Thank you for your advice and guidance

I have an upward trend of 3.8 in my last 80 credits (cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.07)
514 MCAT
1100 Medical Scribe hours
300 non-clinical volunteering hours
120 clinical volunteering hours
200 research hours - 1 publication
Leadership positions in multiple student organizations
Preceptor/TA for upper level science course
5 great LORs

After considering these other components of my application, do you think I have a chance?
Thank you for your advice and guidance
Yes

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine. I do think about intent. It does not seem like you intended to have someone else do the work for you -- to use their work, you were working out a problem together and ended up with the same incorrect answer. Getting it wrong and being accused of cheating -- that is really adding insult to injury. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
You should be fine. I do think about intent. It does not seem like you intended to have someone else do the work for you -- to use their work, you were working out a problem together and ended up with the same incorrect answer. Getting it wrong and being accused of cheating -- that is really adding insult to injury. I think you'll be fine.
Thank you for your advice! Your words took a great amount of stress and pressure off of my shoulders.

Reactions: 1 user