Questions and general input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeplessnight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me begin by saying I appreciate any replies I receive. I thank you for the time you have taken to read my post. I am 33 years old, married and have a baby on the way.

I never finished college and now want to go back. This may sound bizarre at this late stage in my life, but I want to become a medical doctor. Everyone is telling me I am being foolish and that I need to think about my new family. In a way, I agree with them...this is something I wanted for a long time but never pursued. Financially, I don't think it is a wise move...I am making 180k/yr now, the money has zero to do with it, I can afford to pay for my schooling and the opportunity cost. Emotionally, I know it will be difficult because I'm older than traditional students. This is something I should have started 5 years ago. The toll it will take on my wife is immense as well, I know she needs me now. It is not all for selfish reasons, I want to do this for her and my baby as well.

Is my age as big a barrier as I'm making it out to be? Will my low grades from college prevent me from achieving my goal, can I start over from scratch? Is it even worth it to do so, or should I try to continue where I left off? I was doing economics in a community college from age 19-21, but I didn't take it serious. Do you think I am being reckless by thinking about doing this and leaving my business? From age 25 until now, I have been in the real estate management business....but I do not enjoy it. Aside from the money, I get no satisfaction from it and I do not want to continue any longer. If I can balance it along with school, then I will for as long as possible. However, if I can not continue to run my business simultaneously, I am prepared to walk away. My wife is willing to move and says that she will support me in what I want to do, but I don't know if I am willing to put that risk on her. If I were single and younger, I would not even be thinking about it this much, I would just do it.

Is anyone else in a similar position as me? What was your plan? Should I just go back and finish my baccalaureate then take it from there? Are there any programs for people like me? Would a med-school look down on my situation because of my age or my poor grades early on in life? The worst outcome I could imagine is I spend age 33-37 finishing school and then medical school rejects me, this to me would be a huge waste of time. My current business is making more money than I could picture an economics degree bringing in. From my reading online, I'm seeing that I don't really need a Bio or Chem major to become a MD. Economics is very easy to me because I view it as a hobby that I study for free on my spare time, so I figure this would be the path of least resistance.

If anyone is wondering why I would want to pursue a medical profession when I already have a successful business, the owner of any business gets paid last. After expenses and labor, if there is anything left over....that is your profit. If there is no profit in a business, the owner's salary is 0.....do you want to gamble? I need a way to guarantee my family's well-being. Aside from that, I will always regret not finishing college....no matter how successful I am. Managing commercial real estate for investors is not how I pictured my life turning out, I would rather help people as an ER doctor and accept less money. It would bring me happiness, a sense of purpose, and satisfaction.

Thank you sincerely for your suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your wife work and earn a good salary? If not, I really wouldn't... You're pretty far from it, have no experience in the sciences, and stand to lose financially even if you do get into med school.

If your wife earns enough to support you two while you earn nothing (and spend a LOT of money on tuition) and she's supportive, then I'd say it's worth it, but to start cautiously with one science class at a time while keeping your business. You do need to take the pre-reqs, and these are what will determine if you can get in.

Some of my all-time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one stellar one at age 50 in 2015. She's now a resident in Southern CA.
Is my age as big a barrier as I'm making it out to be?

As of right now, yes. That's why you do need to reinvent yourself. There are MD (and all DO) schools that reward this. The trick is showing that the you of now is not the you of then. Look up everything the wise DrMidlife has posted on this subject in this forum. Basically, you're going to need to ace (GPA 3.7+) and MCAT (513+)

Will my low grades from college prevent me from achieving my goal, can I start over from scratch?

Only you can answer this. But this process is a marathon now, not a sprint.
Is it even worth it to do so, or should I try to continue where I left off?

Sounds like the faster way to do this.
Should I just go back and finish my baccalaureate then take it from there?

There are post-bac programs for career changers.
Are there any programs for people like me?

See my first comments
Would a med-school look down on my situation because of my age or my poor grades early on in life?

Medicine is a calling. What does your heart tell you? Don't do this just because you're bored with Real Estate.
The worst outcome I could imagine is I spend age 33-37 finishing school and then medical school rejects me, this to me would be a huge waste of time. My current business is making more money than I could picture an economics degree bringing in.

This is correct
From my reading online, I'm seeing that I don't really need a Bio or Chem major to become a MD. Economics is very easy to me because I view it as a hobby that I study for free on my spare time, so I figure this would be the path of least resistance.

This is a lousy reason for going into Medicine; in fact, it's the baseline.
I need a way to guarantee my family's well-being. Aside from that, I will always regret not finishing college....no matter how successful I am. Managing commercial real estate for investors is not how I pictured my life turning out,

There are lots of other ways to help people. But to get you started, start volunteering with patients in hospitals, clinics, hospice, etc, and also engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.
I would rather help people as an ER doctor and accept less money. It would bring me happiness, a sense of purpose, and satisfaction.

Reactions: 1 user