Questions for AFTER acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post, though I've been browsing the Pre-Dental forums for a few weeks now (SDN messed up my e-mail for some reason, and it took forever to activate it.)

Anyway, I wanted to start a new thread that looks beyond everyone's anxiety and poses some more optimistic questions about what to do AFTER we're all accepted on December 1! I know it's hard to imagine the universe continuing after that infamous Thursday, but suddenly we'll have some important decisions to make!

1. What is the best way to decline a school's acceptance once you've chosen another? Which format (E-mail, letter, phone), and what's the best wording?

2. What is the best way to react if you are accepted on the phone? Is it best to be cool and professional? If it's your first choice, do you let the Dean hear you have a fit? Is enthusiasm good? Ideas?

It's great to know that so many other people are going through what I am!! Please, though, from a newbie's perspective: stop taking everything so damn seriously! ;) Use this for helpful information; creating drama upon drama is such a waste of energy.

Members don't see this ad.

I'mFillingFine said:
1. What is the best way to decline a school's acceptance once you've chosen another? Which format (E-mail, letter, phone), and what's the best wording?

If it's your first choice, do you let the Dean hear you have a fit? Is enthusiasm good?

welcome to SDN & congrats for the interviews.
Best way: thank them 1st and politely decline.
If 1st choice let them know. Enthusiasm is good.

I'mFillingFine said:
Hello everyone! This is my first post, though I've been browsing the Pre-Dental forums for a few weeks now (SDN messed up my e-mail for some reason, and it took forever to activate it.)

Anyway, I wanted to start a new thread that looks beyond everyone's anxiety and poses some more optimistic questions about what to do AFTER we're all accepted on December 1! I know it's hard to imagine the universe continuing after that infamous Thursday, but suddenly we'll have some important decisions to make!

2. What is the best way to react if you are accepted on the phone? Is it best to be cool and professional? If it's your first choice, do you let the Dean hear you have a fit? Is enthusiasm good? Ideas?

Your attitude to the whole subject is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for wishing every1 here acceptance.

I would first call the school that I want to go to and that I was accepted at and thank them. I would email other schools to decline.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'mFillingFine said:

1. Write the name of the school on a pumpkin, stick a knife in it and send it to the admissions office. That or sit on a photocopier and send them a copy.

2. Pee, but not to much just enough to let them know that you did. Roughly 30mL. It's good to let them hear your excitement, but it's better if they can see and smell it too. Avoid humping anyone's leg, unless the situation really calls for it.

donkeywhisperer said:
1. Write the name of the school on a pumpkin, stick a knife in it and send it to the admissions office. That or sit on a photocopier and send them a copy.

2. Pee, but not to much just enough to let them know that you did. Roughly 30mL. It's good to let them hear your excitement, but it's better if they can see and smell it too. Avoid humping anyone's leg, unless the situation really calls for it.

LMAO!

I believe the original question was how to react to an acceptance over the phone (question number 2). It would be extremely hard to let them see and smell over the phone that you just peed your pants, but the idea of peeing is a great idea it just needs to be modified a little. I was thinking you could let out a squeal of excitment followed by a small surprised gasp where almost under your breath you admit that you just peed your pants (I would go with a little less pee, maybe 15-20 mL, clean up is a lot easier). You then take your picture phone, snap a quick shot of your crotch, and send it to the email of whoever it is offering you acceptance. This should really relay the message just the way you want to.

P.S. Good luck to all of you who get this special phone call, and just remember that between Nov 30th 2005 and August 2006 it is a good idea to never empty your bladder completly, but to save just enough in case you're the lucky one.

Lostinbul said:
It would be extremely hard to let them see and smell over the phone that you just peed your pants,

It's all about the effort my friend, if I want someone to smell, see, and even taste my pee, I'm going to take the initiative. Although I think you're right about the amout, I was just saying 30mL cause it's hard to stop real fast once you get going. But hey if you can do it then more power to ya. With fine muscle control like that I'm sure you'll make a great dentist.

donkeywhisperer said:
It's all about the effort my friend, if I want someone to smell, see, and even taste my pee, I'm going to take the initiative. Although I think you're right about the amout, I was just saying 30mL cause it's hard to stop real fast once you get going. But hey if you can do it then more power to ya. With fine muscle control like that I'm sure you'll make a great dentist.
I guess I just don't have the same drive and determination that you have, which is why I would be lazy and just email the picture of my "accedent". Nice point about the fine muscle control adding to ones ability to perform as a dentist! I think it would be most appropriate that in addition to the PAT section they hand you a small cup for urine samples with a line delineating urine levels of those with true skills and those without! It really would decrease the competition and make the admission process much more straight forward. Not to mention that the adcoms could then have your sample on hand (in hand I guess) in the case that over the phone you wanted them to taste your pee!! Brilliant my friend, brillant!

Lostinbul said:
the idea of peeing [your pants] is a great idea
well then consider me miles davis! :laugh:

syn_apse said:
well then consider me miles davis! :laugh:

I love Billy Madison! I hope you get accepted just for that.

LOL!! My god, you guys had me rolling on the floor. I guess that's what I get for posting a stupid question and then leaving for 2 days. :) :) :) Thanks for the laugh.

And FURTHERMORE, I don't think your "muscle control" pee test is fair since females have a MUCH harder time with accurate urethral emission than men. If you don't know why, just ask, and then immediately withdraw your AADSAS application.

I'll make sure they hear it, and ask near the end just in case they haven't.

But seriously....what is the best way to write the withdraw letter after the acceptance. Do you SAY what other school you're going to? Or do you just say "Thank you so much for your acceptance, but I have selected another school to pursue my degree", etc. etc. Any thoughts?