Questions for any student who has been pregnant during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osillybean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a MSIII and pregnant :). I am due in August (the beginning of my MSIV year). So, for all of you have been pregnant during med school (and I know I can't be the first one ;) ), a couple of questions...

When did you tell your medical school?
When did you tell your preceptors?
Did any of you have rotations away from home, and if so, did you bring the baby along, or leave it with your significant other?
Anybody due around the time to take Step II of the COMLEX, did you schedule it early and or hope, or late and hope :p ?

Any other advice would be wonderful!!! Thank you all so much

Members don't see this ad.

osillybean said:
Hi all,

I am a MSIII and pregnant :). I am due in August (the beginning of my MSIV year). So, for all of you have been pregnant during med school (and I know I can't be the first one ;) ), a couple of questions...

When did you tell your medical school?
When did you tell your preceptors?
Did any of you have rotations away from home, and if so, did you bring the baby along, or leave it with your significant other?
Anybody due around the time to take Step II of the COMLEX, did you schedule it early and or hope, or late and hope :p ?

Any other advice would be wonderful!!! Thank you all so much

I am MS IV and have 2 children, and while they are older, I was pregnant at one time with them. You should tell your school right away. You never know if you will have complications along the road and end up on bed rest or in the hospital with pre-term labor, etc. There are many things that can happen to you unexpectantly while pregnant so out of courtesy you should tell them up front. You should tell your preceptors if you are in a situation on a rotation where the baby could be potentially harmed (x-rays, flouro, lifting patients) otherwise it's really up to you and of course when you start showing they will know anyway. If I were you, take the COMLEX II before you have the baby. You have NO IDEA how much work a newborn is and how exhausted you will be 24/7 feeding every two hours. I cannot imagine trying to study too - I just wouldn't do it. Step II is a piece of cake compared to step I (I studied for 2 weeks) Do
as much as you can while that baby is still inside because it's a whole different scenario once it comes out.

I have done rotations away, usually they are more difficult than those at home. My kids were no with me so I could focus and do a good job on the away rotation (they stay with their dad during the summer-we are divorced)so I can schedule those things while they are gone.

Also, if you plan to use daycare, have that set up before you have the child and know that most daycares will not take a baby until it is 6 weeks old so plan for that too.

Hope that helps, good luck with being a new mom. It's fun but a lot of work too.

NOt until 16 weeks. You may miscarry etc... Anyway 4th year is the best time to do this you can take an elective month when you are due.
Lots more ideas but email me
Diane

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I actually just emailed my school tonight (right now I'm 11 1/2 weeks). I wanted to wait until that magic 12th week, but some how my preceptors (4 middle aged male surgeons--who are awesome by the way) found out about it...and just what I was afraid would happen did, they are treating me like a delicate little flower...oh well, I told them not to worry about me and that I can take care of myself, so we will see how that goes.

take care
:)

let them treat you like a delicate little flower! nothing wrong with taking it easy a little bit during pregnancy. It takes a lot of energy to create life my friend! Seriously, take advantage of it.