Questions for current students at Des Moines University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmed_99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am interested in Des Moines University. But the stats are confusing regarding this school. The acceptance rate is roughly 25%. The average MCAT scores is 24. The average gpa is 3.46. Plus, they have few minorities (10%). I very much want to be a doctor. However, my stats are poor. I have a 3.33 cum gpa in biomedical engineering, 3.36 in sciences, and a 21 MCAT (6 verbal, 7 physical, 8 bio). I am a minority (asian). I would love to go to a DO school, and i am interested in Des Moines University. But I am skeptikal by the school admission standards.

1. Why are the admission standards so low?
(even for a DO school)
2. Is this a quality school?
3. How come they accept so many out of state students compared to in-state students?
Do people not want to attend a DO school in Iowa?
4. Do I have any chance of acceptance at Des Moines?
5. Is the school interested in recruiting minorities, even those that are not underrepresented?

I would appreciate any feedback from current Des Moines University of Osteopathic Medical College or those familiar with the school.

Please include your undergraduate stats if you were accepted or are a current student at this school. thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend you call Mr. Duane Murray, international/minority student advisor, who can answer many of your questions. He works with minority pre-meds who are interested in DMU. Just call the school's main operator and ask for him. I will tell you that some of those statistics may be old and I believe the admissions standards are just as competitive as other DO schools. This school, however, does "take a chance" on people (like me, thank God) and sometimes looks at more than numbers. Anyway, Mr. Murray can probably be more assistance than I can. Good luck.

What were ur undergraduate stats? Are you a minority? How do you like Des Moines University?

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite DMU's excellent reputation and long history, many premeds neglect to apply to the school because Iowa is not a state that many would consider to be a first or a tenth place to live in. As a result, DMU has a limited applicant pool to choose from when compared to other schools.
(DMU is one of the best kept secrets!)

what were ur undergrad stats? how are the facilities and professors at DMU? thanx for ur previous input

In my limited experience here Des Moines is not a bad place to live at all. It is not corn country as many think.

I am originally from Minnesota. Although I grew up in a suburb of Minneapolis, I have run into people who after they meet me would say things like "well you dont talk like them." As though Minnesota is represented by the movie Fargo. Everyone has pre-concieved notions or stereotypes of places they have not been before. I attended a prominent private school called Drake my freshmen year here in Des Moines. I then attended the University of Minnesota before I decided to be adventuresome and settle in Flagstaff Arizona where I attended Northern Arizona University. I graduated with a 3.6 gpa and got a 28 on the MCAT (6V, 11P, 11B). My major was a pre-professional zoology program.