Questions for D.O. doctors- interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a handful of interviews at DO schools,
were my responses when I was asked “why DO? Have you ever shadowed a DO?”

1) Majority of the attendings at my site where I scribe (ER) are DOs, to me I see no obvious difference between their way of practice and that of MDs in the ER. I love the way they practice, and will definitely take bits from each to incorporate into my practice some day. Whenever I’m on shift I’m always thinking -> “Hey Dr. ____, when will I get to do what you do on shift??? I want to be like you!” (And obviously the answer is go to medical school!)
2). I thought OMM looked cool in the very few times I got to see it done in the ED, going to a DO school affords me the chance to learn more on the techniques and do them myself. Whether I’ll use them in my practice is completely up to me, but it’s great to know I have an extra tool if I ever need it.

Tried to never compare MD vs DO at my interviews, as previously mentioned I used my own anecdotes and avoided comparing the 2 altogether. Though at one school they did ask me how many MD schools did I apply to, which all I said was “Zero” bc I really didn’t apply to any MDs. Was never asked why. Everyone’s story and answers will be different, but this one was mine.

Feel free to PM me if you guys have questions on my application, schools I interviewed at, etc!

Members don't see this ad.

As to Why DO? Dont say DOs take a more holistic or personal approach with their patients. We have several MD faculty at my school and might not be wearing identifying initials during the onterview. They will call BS on you, in a polite way, and you will be furiously backpedaling. Not a good look in an interview. I've seen it many times.

Reactions: 1 users
Why DO? It makes a difference when your physician is trained to truly listen. To pay more attention to you than your chart. To look beyond the symptoms and take the time to get to know you as a whole person. #DOsthatDO

If they don't like this answer, tell them it is from their own DO funded trash advertising campaign.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What are more developed answers than these? Anyone have passion for OMM who can chime in who they would describe their passion in the interview?

FWIW I talked about my experiences shadowing a DO and the more humanistic aspects that resonated with me. For example, the importance of the simple quality of touch, and especially how it makes patients feel like they've "been seen by the doctor" rather than "they went to the doctor." Medicine isn't perfectly scientific, providers constantly have to discern between their clinical history and expertise, science, and their patients' human condition and situation outside of the science and the provider's past experience. I think acknowledging the holistic approach in this way is important.

If you look for positivity it's there, so my advice is find a genuine interest in osteopathy so that you don't sound guilty when talking about it at interviews. I think Goro's response is funny, but don't expect your interviewer to say, "Haha, yeah we know you'd rather be at any MD school over us, but we'd love to have you." Or at least if they do, don't say, "Oh thank god" ;)

Also the DO application process is through AACOMAS not AMCAS and DO schools don't need to know that you weren't aware of osteopathy at all the first time you applied. I wouldn't be dishonest about applying MD first, if they asked, but I doubt it comes up.

In short they'll say "Why DO?" (not "Why not MD?"), but seems like they do like to include some way of getting your response to "What's the difference between OMM and chiropractor techniques," which in short are: OMM has a larger scope of treatment ability (down to, say, increasing range of motion or helping patients pass a BM), and OMM is a tool used by a provider who can see literally any medical problem, not just the providers only tool and consequently only scope of practice.

Lastly, don't pooh-pooh MDs or chiropractors, and in general use the positive perspective to express things instead of the negative side

EDIT: and like someone else said above, don't use buzz words, ever! Your response needs to be genuine and not use words like "holistic" in your definitions. For all I know DO schools don't care what your reason is for osteopathy as long as you don't regurgitate wikipedia or their website in your interview

• Love
Reactions: 3 users