Questions for interviewing med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gadofosveset

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw these questions on another website and shamelessly stole them since I thought they would be useful for radiology resident applicants (I modified them a little)

-----

#1: What do you consider the difference between a good resident at this program and a great one? [I think probably the most important question]

#2: What’s the process for on-boarding new residents, and how does the program handle beginner mistakes?

#3: What are some ways the residency focuses on team development / leadership skills?

#4: What would (your) residents say are the top three reasons they love working here? [good to see the difference between residents and attendings on this one]

#5: How does a resident support the department's mission and goals?

-----

I would ask most of these questions to residents you meet at the dinner and then ask a few to interviewing attendings to see if there's a discrepancy. Emailing residents a question or two after the interview might be helpful too.

#1 and #3 should tell you everything you need to know about a program's culture. These are more important than questions about book fund, IMO.

Look at the different responses to #2 from junior and senior residents.
 
Last edited: