Questions for Intro to PM&R Lecture

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by fozzy40, Apr 14, 2007.

1. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello. I'm a 4th year going into PM&R and I will be giving an Intro to PM&R lecture at my school. I would like to have a Q&A style lecture and I wanted to make sure to address some of the questions that current meds students have about PM&R. Here are some of the questions I have so far:

What are physiatrists?
    What is PM&R?
    What type of medical conditions do we see?
    Where do PM&R docs work?
    Are there specialties in PM&R?
    How much money can I make?
    What medical specialties overlap with PM&R?
    What is the training like?

What other questions or perceptions do med students have about this field?

Thanks for your help.

fozzy40

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really wish I was kidding about this one...but I can't even count how many times I have answered this question...

"So how is that different from a Physical Therapist who can write prescriptions for drugs?"

Some others that I've been asked (I'll add to this as I think of more....my brain is fried from step 1 studying):

Isn't it depressing working w/ patients like that all the time (usually referring to inpatient/geriatric care)?

What do people mean when they say its "plenty of money and relaxation"?

4. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    btw even though you're looking for med students opinions/questions...I think posting this in the PM&R forum might be helpful....as its likely that the residents have had many people ask them about their chosen field.

5. fozzy40

fozzy40 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the input Taus. I'll post it in the PM&R forum eventually but I figured I'd post it in the Osteo and Allo forums first since most med students don't make their way to the PM&R forum.

I really want the people to ask the abrasive questions because I think those unfortunately are the most common false notions of the field.

My favorite conversation so far was talking with a fellow 4th year from another school (going into ER) and she asked me what I was going into.

4th Yr: "PM&R? So what do you say when people say that you're nothing more than a glorified physical therapist?"

Me: "I'd say that they have no idea what they are talking about.

4th Yr: "Well then explain it to me because I am one of those people."
    (at least she had the guts to ask me directly:D

Another conversation was talking with another med student (in the context of TBI and SCI):
    "Sooo...the surgeons save the pts lives and you just develop a relationship"

You can't help but laugh sometimes...I love this stuff so keep the questions coming!

6. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Take pictures of where you work and describe things. The machines, the different rooms, your hangout room, what happens where. Focus on explaining what you (or an attending) will do in a typical day or week, rather than what a hypothetical PM&R doc can theoretically do over a career. Storytell. What's the hot new thing arond the corner that no one knows about? Where is the profession headed?

7. joseppi

joseppi Member
    7+ Year Member

I did a similar presentation as a MSIV on a IM rotation at a hosital without PMR facilities... The chief asked me to do it because like her, like many other residents, medical students we are sort of the black hole.... they've heard of it maybe but really don't know all its entities.
    Your topics are good, definately mention the fellowships everyone wwas interested in that, what can a pmr doc possibly specialize in, they were suprised and astounded by our vast neuro knowledge. For pain list the types of procedures done. (ie more than just medical managment)

Explain the corssover with other specialties, really we do the things others don't like to do or we take up the slack.

neuro
    neurosurg
    rheum
    ortho
    sports medicine
    medicine on inpts is impt
    pain mgmt
    wound care
    burns
    kinesiology
    biomechanics

Anyhow, good to educate as many other collegues as possible, makes future referals easier....

I have heard other medical students not going into PMR ask, what makes a good pmr admit (inpt)/referral (outpt) moreless summing up all your skills....

Good luck

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would also get into some of the subspecialties like you mentioned.

Talking about the rehab care of stroke, MVA and other head trauma victims...or the rehab care of children tends to change peoples minds about what PM&R docs do.