Other OT-Related Information Questions for Students in OT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elainag1993

Reaction score
Hey all! I hope your application processes are going as well as they can be. We have all been there and things don't always go as planned lol. Either way, make sure to take time to enjoy the process as mindfully as possible. :rolleyes:

I am starting this thread because #1) I have recently been blogging about my process in applying to and starting OT school. I would LOVE to get some input from you all about what questions you have for someone like me who is about 6 months into OT school whether it be about applying, choosing, going to school. Really, nothing is off limits.

And, #2) I want to answer your questions as best as I can! haha.

I know that sounds pretty broad, but feel free to comment if you want to know more about me personally to see if any of your questions might be relevant to my experiences. :D

Again, good luck and enjoy this time in your life.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am in the process of interviewing right now and my biggest thing is how do I decide which program is the best fit for me? At this point I have visited two schools and if I get into both of them, I don't know how I am going to choose between them! I know people say "research vs clinical" focus but I don't know which one I like better, possibly clinical? And does ranking matter/make a difference?

Most of them are around the same price as well so price does not really affect my decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am in the process of interviewing right now and my biggest thing is how do I decide which program is the best fit for me? At this point I have visited two schools and if I get into both of them, I don't know how I am going to choose between them! I know people say "research vs clinical" focus but I don't know which one I like better, possibly clinical? And does ranking matter/make a difference?

Most of them are around the same price as well so price does not really affect my decision.

Current OT student here as well hopefully OP doesnt mind if I comment as well. Ranking in my opinion does not matter. We are all going to be OTs when we are done, and as long a as you have the OTR/L credentials you are good to go!!!

As for looking for a program that is best fit for you, look at the city it is in. Is there ample opportunity for OT fieldwork/employment in the setting you’re interested in? What else does the program do outside of teach - do they help out in the community? What kind of support do they give you for the NBCOT? After reading up on the professors, do you feel confident in their ability to teach you how to be an OT? Do they give you support while you’re a student (study assistance, a big/little kind of situation/etc)? Were the student that were there happy if you got to see or talk to them? Or were they kinda miserable? (Lol i know this sounds silly, but you want to be happy while in grad school. Yes it is challenging but you need to take care of yourself mentally!!!).

Also very important: are they accredited? What is their pass/fail rate on the NBCOT?

Lastly, which one did you feel more at home at while at the interview? Did you really connect with the professors/students at a certain school over another? This is largely why I chose my school. It’s a tough decision, but no matter what you choose you’re going to be an OT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I wanted to know what was the interview process like? And did you have assessment to write?