Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

questions for the interviewer? right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by shaggy411, Dec 9, 2005.

1. shaggy411

shaggy411 Member
    5+ Year Member

Would it be ok(polite) if i would ask the following when the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for them?

"Well since you have invited me for an interview, why would you want me to come to "so and so" school? "

or something along the lines:

"Well since you have invited me for an interview, there are things you liked about me and from what you have heard in my interview...what do you fell that I can bring to the class of 2010?" or "....do you think I will fit into the PCOM class comfortably(or a better term?)"

I knwo at first the questions may seem akward..but an interview is NOT JUST for the school to see more about you...it's also to why or a chacne for the school to get me interested in the school so that I would attend if accepted

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. parrothead_stud

parrothead_stud all-around athlete
    5+ Year Member

The chance for the school to get you interested in it is the 1-2 hour tour that usually lasts the rest of the day. Ask those questions and I think you're sealing your fate.

4. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think there's a subtle arrogance in that question. Whether or not it's the case, it suggests a need to fill your ego.

Just ask some questions you have about the school. When else are you going to get to show your interest? You shouldn't want to go to a school based on how much they like you.

5. jcr_massage

jcr_massage BodyworkSweety
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    While I haven't been through interviews yet, I don't see anything wrong with asking something constructive like "after speaking with me for a little while (or however long they talked to you) and reading my file, what do you think the strong points of your school are that should stand out to me."

This allows them to boast a little about their school, perhaps will fill you in on something that you didn't know, also allows them to give a little insight on how your character came off to them and still projects confidence, it puts a different spin on the question, not just tellme about your school, or what do you think of me, but how do you relate the two together.

A friend of mine is a doctor who frequently helps the school he attended with asmissions interviewing etc and he told me, "Confidence is good, if you have competitive stats with the school you are interviewing at then it's okay to project a little confidence, however don't project that you are god's gift to medicine or the best candidate in the world because those are the people you see with 4.0 gpa's and 35 mcat's and phenomenal extracurriculars who get rejected by every school they apply too.

Blessings
    bodyworksweety

6. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know about this one....usually by the time they get around to interviewing you, you've heard an hour speech about how great the school is from a dean or admissions person, you've had the hour or so tour of the campus (with constant reminders of how great the school is) and then the financial aid talk. I mean, you end up with 3hours or more of faculty, students and staff telling you why you should attend their school. In addition, first thing in the morning you get that folder full of brochures, papers and pretty pictures and graphs illustrating how wonderful the school is and why you should go there .

So, then you get to the interviews and they still tell you all the great points about their school, whenever they can. If, after being put through a half day of XXXCOM cheerleading, you ask, "Why should I come to this school?", they are going to wonder where you've been all day.

I would suggest asking something specific about the school that interests you and would really motivate you to attend/not attend their school. For instance, maybe you are really interested in OMM. You see the lab and they tell you how many hours of OMM are required. You could get to the interview and mention your specific interest in OMM and ask,"I want to attend a school where I can learn and practice OMM as much as possible. Are there opportunities to focus more on OMM prior to rotations?"

If you get there and they interview first thing before all the talks and whatnot you could probably ask anything but you definitely don't want to come off like you never researched their school. I would mention something specific about their website or something else that you've read or heard about the school, before asking anything. You could also mention specific traits you have that you wish to see in your classmates.

Good luck!

7. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think as a candidate you should know what are your strong points and asking the adcom to tell you what they think they are is just tooting your own horn. It's really hard to ask that question to 2-3 people and not one of them think it is slighly arrogant. I can't think of any answers to this question that will actually help you in the future.

Also it is possible your interviewers just read your file for the first time 20 minutes ago and was not involved in the decision to grant you an interview.

There are so many other questions you can ask that have little chance of ruffling feathers.

8. HunterGatherer

Attending Physician
    I like what hoberto says. Ask very specific questions about the school, school strength, school weaknesses, admission process, website, changes in current curriculum, future changes in curriculum, student-faculty interaction, interaction between 1st-2nd years, clinical sites, ways clinical sites are chosen, fellowships, research or lack of it, faculty, program, housing, the city the school is in, weather, etc. I usually made a list of 5-10 questions and some were usually answered in tours and presentations. But those answered questions will sometimes lead to more questions that you may save for the interviews. I the best questions come from answers to a previous question.

If you make a list of the schools strengths and weaknesses that may help as well. What questions could you ask to help you choose between schools if given multiple acceptances.

On the first day of class and the days leading to it you will have a lot of questions and some of these may have been answered in the interview.

9. supersash

supersash so what's an epitope?
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    agreed. your questions seem like you would just want them to tell you how good you are (and hell, i am sure you already know how good you are!).

stick to the basics, about the school type questions. why risk putting someone off. you made it far enough to get to the interview. don't blow it with something silly.

good luck!

10. HunterGatherer

Attending Physician
    This is a good question, but something more specific that is a real concern to you might help them answer the question better such as your interest in research, having a family, being a URM, etc. This question has potential to be turned around onto you so be prepared.

11. ryan483

ryan483 Membership Revoked
    Removed

DON'T ASK THEM

12. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought about something similar, but there are so many drawbacks and no real benefits. You will probably sound neurotic or arrogant, depending how you word it. If I were an interviewer, I'd probaby turn it back on you and say, "Well, what do you think?"

13. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor
    5+ Year Member

Great experiment! Go ahead and try. I would love to see the results.

14. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think so as well. I wouldn't try asking those questions.