CC DIY post-bacc...right after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on this forum, but I am graduating college with my bachelors, with about a 3.3gpa (cumulative). However, my science GPA needs work, like...a LOT of work, and I also don't have most of the pre-reqs down.

The exception to this is that I've taken higher level bio courses (usually non-lab, though), and done well. If anyone has any experience as to why I (or anyone) succeed in advanced courses but not the intro courses, please let me know.

Anyways, I'm about to start a job on the bench, and figured I'd go to CC to knock out the pre-reqs and bring my science GPA up. It's cheap and accessible; 1/3 of the cost of part-time courses at the state universities. To be honest, I'd really only be taking about 32 credits across four semesters—the bio, chem, physics, and orgo sequences. However, while I've seen older non-trad students take CC courses, I worry that me JUST graduating college would be seen as "Wait, why did they not just take pre reqs then? Why did they struggle in chemistry then, and somehow do well a year later at a CC?"

In other words, I worry that it will be seen as a strategy to get higher grades, not a legitimate post-bacc sequence.

I also figure (due to CC's limited course catalog) I won't be taking courses in the realm of cell bio, immuno, neuro, etc. Will this hurt me? I've already taken courses in epi and vaccine science (ironically, immuno was a pre req for vax sci, but I got an A- in it after the professor let me take the course w/out immuno).

Thanks!