Questions for Walgreens Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raj Wal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am an 2014 graduate, considering Walgreens, but have some questions first. I appreciate your time in answering these.
1. Salary compare to other chains? Around 125K starting?
2. Do they give overtime? Is the overtime time and half? Does the overtime kick in after 8 hours or after 80 hours for two weeks?
3. I doubt they give you 30 minutes for lunch but i thought i ask.
4. Type of shifts? 14 hours?
5. Vacation time for newbie? 2 weeks?
6. Metrics or goals? At cvs they have metrics for everything, is it like that with walgreens?
7. Is the software system easy to pickup?
8. I always hear that walgreens doesn't provide enough tech help for their pharmacist, is that true?
9. How is the night shift for the pharmacist who works overnight? Are you the only one (without any techs)?
10. On average how long extra (without pay) do you end up staying after your shift ends?

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all. I am an 2014 graduate, considering Walgreens, but have some questions first. I appreciate your time in answering these.
2. Do they give overtime? Is the overtime time and half? Does the overtime kick in after 8 hours or after 80 hours for two weeks?
6. Metrics or goals? At cvs they have metrics for everything, is it like that with walgreens?
8. I always hear that walgreens doesn't provide enough tech help for their pharmacist, is that true?
9. How is the night shift for the pharmacist who works overnight? Are you the only one (without any techs)?
10. On average how long extra (without pay) do you end up staying after your shift ends?

Many of these will be regionally dependent. You will get more valuable responses if you specify where you intend to work.

Texas market. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Beaumont

Members don't see this ad :)

Can't speak for that area/region, but as for the West Palm, Florida area...

1. New hires have to float (very few exceptions), 32 - 40 hrs/week = $92k - $113k/year.

2. They try to avoid paying OT, but there are always call-outs on a day-to-day basis and the Scheduler will call people until she can cover the shift, even if that means paying OT to someone. You can also go online and check the "open shifts" on a daily basis and put in a request to be called if you want the OT. Pay is base hourly wage + $10/hr extra, and I think that is the norm now for OT. Any hours over 10hrs in day or 80hrs in a pay period is when OT kicks in, but that depends on if you are hired on as Salary or Hourly.

3. LOL

4. Depends on store hours. If it's a 9-9 store then may work 12hr shifts here and there. If it's an 8-10 store then likely just doing 8hr shifts but a 14hr shift wouldn't be abnormal. In general, most shifts are around 8-9hrs.

5. No vacation or holiday pay for first 6 months. WAG uses PTO (Personal Time Off) which you accrual as you work but doesn't kick in into after 6 months of employment. PTO is used for everything now; sick time, vacation, etc.

6. A lot of metrics/goals to explain, but in general, not nearly as crazy as CVS. The higher-ups are getting on us more about metrics, but it hasn't reached Nazi Concentration Camp level yet.

7. Software is the best in the business. It's user-friendly, intuitive and you will pick-up within a few days.

8. This all varies by store, district, region. But in general, you will be understaffed. I've worked at store's which I had a comfortable staff and easy day and other stores that were a living nightmare. My store is a 9-9 store, I have 1 full-time Tech and that's it. So, I am by myself in the morning and night for about 2 hours, and I work the weekends alone (same thing with my partner). But, we are on the POWER program so we have techs/rph's off-site that help type and review scripts for us and intercept phone calls...so some of the workload is taken off of us. But, still sucks at time and I get pretty swamped trying to cover all points of patient contact plus do immunizations, mtm's, etc, etc.

9/10. Not too sure on night-shifts, only did 1 time as a RPh and I was by myself in a 24-hour store. Was pretty busy at first then dead all night and it was easy. I try not to stay after my scheduled time, but I also work efficiently and I hate leaving work/clutter for other's. So, if I have to stay late to catch-up I will, but usually I get things done on my shift and leave on-time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Tony. At a store that on average does 350 scripts a day do you normally have plenty of tech help? Also, how easy or hard is to learn how to process insurance?

1. Salary compare to other chains? Not sure what they are offering new grads. If I was full time I'd be at 125k
2. Do they give overtime? Is the overtime time and half? Yes there is overtime. Not familiar with the rate. I think it starts when you do over 40hrs/week but I could be wrong.
3. I doubt they give you 30 minutes for lunch but i thought i ask. For some reason most pharmacists here don't take a lunch. I was told if you do take a lunch you have to stay an extra half hour. Back when I was in Chicago (unionized) we took our 30 min lunches during overlap and didn't have to stay extra.
4. Type of shifts? Mostly 8 hours. Overnights are 10 hours. Possibly can be 12 hours if you are at a 9-9 store.
5. Vacation time for newbie? 2 weeks? I think so.
6. Metrics or goals? At cvs they have metrics for everything, is it like that with walgreens? Yes, but from what I hear not as anal as CVS
7. Is the software system easy to pickup? Yes
8. I always hear that walgreens doesn't provide enough tech help for their pharmacist, is that true? Mostly yes.
9. How is the night shift for the pharmacist who works overnight? Are you the only one (without any techs)? Yes. Can be horrible at first but even at the busy stores is usually calms down after 2am and you can start the queue.
10. On average how long extra (without pay) do you end up staying after your shift ends? Depends on the store.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Tony. At a store that on average does 350 scripts a day do you normally have plenty of tech help? Also, how easy or hard is to learn how to process insurance?

Depends, at that volume you'll likely be either adequately (barely) staffed or slightly under-staffed. Insurance you learn with experience, not too difficult and your techs will show you all the tricks.

Several higher volume stores have automation machines to help with production. If you work overnight you get stuck doing a lot of the refilling, maintenance stuff if it doesn't get done during the day.

My salary is right at 125K, i started in August as a new grad. Did not do grad intern stuff, took the entire summer off to relax and semi study for my boards which i passed early July.
When I floated and i had to pick up extra shifts or partial extra shifts i went to what I believe they called a "B pay scale" and got paid a little extra, not OT and nothing that i was liek woah!. Worked a holiday and got paid double so that was pretty great. Not sure about other OT situations, I staff now and ive never had to go into OT so idk how that works yet.
lol
My store is 9-9 so I work 3 12hs over a 2 week period. I work 9 days every 2 weeks and get every other F, S, Sun off. That is how me and my partner set up the schedule though, there are many ways to do it. I love it. Wouldnt be possible at a 8-10 store though (at least i dont think it would)
I think it is somewhere around there, if you search SDN you will find a document that explains it. you accumulate it as you go. None of the vacation time ihave ever asked for has been approved though haa
I haven't seen anything major or felt major pressure to meet certain goals except the obvious flu shots. But maybe the Pharmacy Manager is more focused on those aspects. Mine has never made any sort of comments about it to me
Yes. I have had many retail rotations and have worked with many different computer systems and this one and walmarts have been the best in my experience. Simple once ya get the hang of the basics. I also work in a wellness store (newer walgreens design) and i never have to touch anything unless i am filling. verify/review is all on teh same screen and it alternates automatically for you. takes pictures when the techs fill and you look at the pictures on the screen of the label/leaflet/pills in bottle. I like it a lot!!! Regular old looking at the pills in the bottle wouldnt be a tragedy to go back to though.

My store is average script count and i feel like we have enough tech hours. I have been told that is because we are a newer walgreens though. The store down the street has only a few more hours and they are twice as busy
Never worked nights
I can count on one hand how many times i have done this at my store. We empty the que by the end of the day, the longest i have stayed is about 25 minutes, no big deal.

Every answer (for the most part) is so dependent on the store you are at/quality of techs/etc. I was lucky and only had to float for about 2 months and got a staff position in my favorite store. If i was stuck forever at some of the stores ive floated at i would be looking for a new job right now to be honest.

My salary is right at 125K, i started in August as a new grad. Did not do grad intern stuff, took the entire summer off to relax and semi study for my boards which i passed early July.
When I floated and i had to pick up extra shifts or partial extra shifts i went to what I believe they called a "B pay scale" and got paid a little extra, not OT and nothing that i was liek woah!. Worked a holiday and got paid double so that was pretty great. Not sure about other OT situations, I staff now and ive never had to go into OT so idk how that works yet.
lol
My store is 9-9 so I work 3 12hs over a 2 week period. I work 9 days every 2 weeks and get every other F, S, Sun off. That is how me and my partner set up the schedule though, there are many ways to do it. I love it. Wouldnt be possible at a 8-10 store though (at least i dont think it would)
I think it is somewhere around there, if you search SDN you will find a document that explains it. you accumulate it as you go. None of the vacation time ihave ever asked for has been approved though haa
I haven't seen anything major or felt major pressure to meet certain goals except the obvious flu shots. But maybe the Pharmacy Manager is more focused on those aspects. Mine has never made any sort of comments about it to me
Yes. I have had many retail rotations and have worked with many different computer systems and this one and walmarts have been the best in my experience. Simple once ya get the hang of the basics. I also work in a wellness store (newer walgreens design) and i never have to touch anything unless i am filling. verify/review is all on teh same screen and it alternates automatically for you. takes pictures when the techs fill and you look at the pictures on the screen of the label/leaflet/pills in bottle. I like it a lot!!! Regular old looking at the pills in the bottle wouldnt be a tragedy to go back to though.

My store is average script count and i feel like we have enough tech hours. I have been told that is because we are a newer walgreens though. The store down the street has only a few more hours and they are twice as busy
Never worked nights
I can count on one hand how many times i have done this at my store. We empty the que by the end of the day, the longest i have stayed is about 25 minutes, no big deal.

Every answer (for the most part) is so dependent on the store you are at/quality of techs/etc. I was lucky and only had to float for about 2 months and got a staff position in my favorite store. If i was stuck forever at some of the stores ive floated at i would be looking for a new job right now to be honest.
How many hours a week do you work?

The night shift can be hit or miss

I am a new grad and have walked in to some crazy situations where there are literally 200 or so to fill overnight and customers don't stop until 2 AM or so

But this store was going through staff changes and was being run by floaters and was extremely busy

Last edited:
How many hours a week do you work?

One week I work 54 and one week I work 26

It's 80 total over the 2 week pay period just one week is heavier than the other (goes by quick though)

1. New hires have to float (very few exceptions), 32 - 40 hrs/week = $92k - $113k/year.

2. They try to avoid paying OT, but there are always call-outs on a day-to-day basis and the Scheduler will call people until she can cover the shift, even if that means paying OT to someone. You can also go online and check the "open shifts" on a daily basis and put in a request to be called if you want the OT. Pay is base hourly wage + $10/hr extra, and I think that is the norm now for OT. Any hours over 10hrs in day or 80hrs in a pay period is when OT kicks in, but that depends on if you are hired on as Salary or Hourly.

3. LOL

4. Depends on store hours. If it's a 9-9 store then may work 12hr shifts here and there. If it's an 8-10 store then likely just doing 8hr shifts but a 14hr shift wouldn't be abnormal. In general, most shifts are around 8-9hrs.

5. No vacation or holiday pay for first 6 months. WAG uses PTO (Personal Time Off) which you accrual as you work but doesn't kick in into after 6 months of employment. PTO is used for everything now; sick time, vacation, etc.

6. A lot of metrics/goals to explain, but in general, not nearly as crazy as CVS. The higher-ups are getting on us more about metrics, but it hasn't reached Nazi Concentration Camp level yet.

7. Software is the best in the business. It's user-friendly, intuitive and you will pick-up within a few days.

8. This all varies by store, district, region. But in general, you will be understaffed. I've worked at store's which I had a comfortable staff and easy day and other stores that were a living nightmare. My store is a 9-9 store, I have 1 full-time Tech and that's it. So, I am by myself in the morning and night for about 2 hours, and I work the weekends alone (same thing with my partner). But, we are on the POWER program so we have techs/rph's off-site that help type and review scripts for us and intercept phone calls...so some of the workload is taken off of us. But, still sucks at time and I get pretty swamped trying to cover all points of patient contact plus do immunizations, mtm's, etc, etc.

9/10. Not too sure on night-shifts, only did 1 time as a RPh and I was by myself in a 24-hour store. Was pretty busy at first then dead all night and it was easy. I try not to stay after my scheduled time, but I also work efficiently and I hate leaving work/clutter for other's. So, if I have to stay late to catch-up I will, but usually I get things done on my shift and leave on-time.

"hasn't reached Nazi Concentration Camp level yet."

thank you for the giggle!

Could you please clarify "sick time" for a new hire (hired on for less than 6 months)?
Let's say you wake up feeling sick one day, or your car broke down on the way to work, what is the proper procedure to call in sick for the day in the first scenario, and call in to say you're going to be a couple of hours late in the second scenario? What time do they prefer you to call in the morning? And who is the person you should call? The store manager? The scheduler? Are you suppose to find someone to cover you, yourself? How are they even going to find a pharmacist to cover you on such short notice (literally an hour to 30 minutes before opening)?? Or do they expect all their pharmacists to come to work sick?

Could you please clarify "sick time" for a new hire (hired on for less than 6 months)?
Let's say you wake up feeling sick one day, or your car broke down on the way to work, what is the proper procedure to call in sick for the day in the first scenario, and call in to say you're going to be a couple of hours late in the second scenario? What time do they prefer you to call in the morning? And who is the person you should call? The store manager? The scheduler? Are you suppose to find someone to cover you, yourself? How are they even going to find a pharmacist to cover you on such short notice (literally an hour to 30 minutes before opening)?? Or do they expect all their pharmacists to come to work sick?

In case of "emergencies" or serious "illness", I'd call your market scheduler and the store your scheduled to work at too, so they are aware of the situation. From there, arrangements will be made if you can't physically be present to open the pharmacy. Personally, I've been with Wag for 10 years, as a front-end manager and pharmacist and I've "called out sick" once during that time period. It's rare and abnormal to be THAT sick, ill or have car issues that you will need to miss work.

In case of "emergencies" or serious "illness", I'd call your market scheduler and the store your scheduled to work at too, so they are aware of the situation. From there, arrangements will be made if you can't physically be present to open the pharmacy. Personally, I've been with Wag for 10 years, as a front-end manager and pharmacist and I've "called out sick" once during that time period. It's rare and abnormal to be THAT sick, ill or have car issues that you will need to miss work.

Should I also call the scheduler or manager if I was going to be late to open the store (in the case of a car accident, getting pulled over by the police, or some other unforeseen emergency)?

Should I also call the scheduler or manager if I was going to be late to open the store (in the case of a car accident, getting pulled over by the police, or some other unforeseen emergency)?

Absolutely call the store manager, so they know why their pharmacy is not open at the scheduled time. Wouldn't hurt to call the market scheduler too, but that would depend on how "late" we are talking about. If it's over an hour (just an example), the market scheduler should be contacted in case they need to find immediate coverage until you arrive. Just have to use some common sense and professional judgement in these types of cases.