Questions from a prospective pre-med student

Started by j814wong
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

j814wong

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am currently a senior in high school and am already preparing to apply to various colleges. But I'm still torn between majoring in computer science or a biology related major with pre-med requirements. I would love to do both but I have a few questions. 1) Should I only begin looking into medical specialties once I get into medical school? 2) If I spend wisely during my resident years and early years as a doctor, can I overcome the huge debt?
 
Hi I am currently a senior in high school and am already preparing to apply to various colleges. But I'm still torn between majoring in computer science or a biology related major with pre-med requirements. I would love to do both but I have a few questions. 1) Should I only begin looking into medical specialties once I get into medical school? 2) If I spend wisely during my resident years and early years as a doctor, can I overcome the huge debt?

So do CS with pre-med reqs on top. 1)Yes wait til med school to choose but feel free to explore and keep an open mind 2) Yes
 
So do CS with pre-med reqs on top. 1)Yes wait til med school to choose but feel free to explore and keep an open mind 2) Yes

Thanks for your answer. I would love to do that, but CS is very hard to get a high GPA in as with all engineering type classes. Also, a biology related major would be helpful for teh MCATs. I'm still exploring the possibility though. I'm quite interested in biomedical engineering as it has aspects from both engineering and biology, both of which I'm interested in. Do you have any idea how hard it is to maintain a high enough GPA (3.7+)? Any suggestions based on my current situation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your answer. I would love to do that, but CS is very hard to get a high GPA in as with all engineering type classes. Also, a biology related major would be helpful for teh MCATs. I'm still exploring the possibility though. I'm quite interested in biomedical engineering as it has aspects from both engineering and biology, both of which I'm interested in. Do you have any idea how hard it is to maintain a high enough GPA (3.7+)? Any suggestions based on my current situation?
Noone can really answer this question for you since class difficulty varies by school and it's also largely dependent on individual effort. The real question is can you get a competitive GPA if you do engineering? If the answer is yes and you're really interested in BME, then go for it. If the answer is no (and you're set on med school), then you might want to pick an 'easier' major so you'll have a better shot at admissions.. Just my thoughts. Good luck!
 
Always keep an open mind! Whether for your med specialty and even your undergrad major.. you'll likely switch once youre in anyway. What mattets is your grades in *prereqs* and sci GPA. Just major in what you enjoy most because that is what you'll succeed in.
 
Always keep an open mind! Whether for your med specialty and even your undergrad major.. you'll likely switch once youre in anyway. What mattets is your grades in *prereqs* and sci GPA. Just major in what you enjoy most because that is what you'll succeed in.

I didn't know that only grades in pre-requisites and science courses actually count. Is there a specific definition of what counts as a science course? Would programming and calculus count for example?
 
The application for medical school *currently* automatically calculates two standardized GPAs. One is specifically for "Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics' courses (the definitions are somewhere on the AAMC websites). The other is all other courses. Med schools can choose to care about either of those GPAs. Some schools have strict cut-offs for who they offer interviews to. Others do not. I think the most important thing for you is to take classes you find both interesting and (appropriately) challenging. If you burn out on classes that are too hard, you won't have any desire to keep on trucking through medical school. If you set yourself up for years of a major you don't like (even if it's easy), you will be hard pressed to care enough to slog through the long haul. Granted, I come from a liberal arts background where the goal of college was to "explore the world" rather than learn specific skills, so my bias is toward using those years to learn about yourself and the people around you (both in and out of class). All that knowledge will serve you just as well as your good scores or grades will when it comes time to apply to med school (if you end up deciding to stick with that).
 
The application for medical school *currently* automatically calculates two standardized GPAs. One is specifically for "Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics' courses (the definitions are somewhere on the AAMC websites). The other is all other courses. Med schools can choose to care about either of those GPAs. Some schools have strict cut-offs for who they offer interviews to. Others do not. I think the most important thing for you is to take classes you find both interesting and (appropriately) challenging. If you burn out on classes that are too hard, you won't have any desire to keep on trucking through medical school. If you set yourself up for years of a major you don't like (even if it's easy), you will be hard pressed to care enough to slog through the long haul. Granted, I come from a liberal arts background where the goal of college was to "explore the world" rather than learn specific skills, so my bias is toward using those years to learn about yourself and the people around you (both in and out of class). All that knowledge will serve you just as well as your good scores or grades will when it comes time to apply to med school (if you end up deciding to stick with that).

Thanks for the information and tips. I'll keep them in mind.
 
Hi I am currently a senior in high school and am already preparing to apply to various colleges. But I'm still torn between majoring in computer science or a biology related major with pre-med requirements. I would love to do both but I have a few questions. 1) Should I only begin looking into medical specialties once I get into medical school? 2) If I spend wisely during my resident years and early years as a doctor, can I overcome the huge debt?

Rule # 1: Med schools don't care what courses you take or what you major in so long as you pick up all the prereqs along the way. Rule #2: med schools don't care as much about having taken a rigorous course load in college as they care about high GPA. So the guy who aces his sociology courses ad takes the prereqs will get into med school before the guy who struggles with his engineering major. Truth of the matter is the guy who majors in basket weaving or whatever the dumb jocks at your school major in these days probably has a leg up in getting into med school. Rule #3: most high school seniors who want to be premed (90%) don't end up even applying to med school. What sounds cool now may not seem so cool while struggling with organic chemistry, or launching into 10 years of school and training while peers get out into the workforce and buy cars, houses, start having families. It's not a choice you take lightly and it really truly is not for everyone.
 
I'll join the ever-growing chorus: major in what you enjoy. I'm a biochemistry major, but that is because that is what I like. If you put me in front of a computer screen and told me to program, I'd be miserable. Major in something that you truly enjoy, complete the pre-reqs on top of that, join clubs that you're interested in, and take college seriously but not too seriously.

I also have to second what Law2Doc said. Make sure you have an open mind and think about whether you truly want to enter medicine. It is an amazing career that can bring once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. However, if you aren't completely committed to it, it'll be tough surviving medical school and residency. Try new opportunities and don't just focus on medicine throughout undergraduate.
 
Thanks everyone. I've decided I'll probably major in Biology or biomedical engineering. I'm leaning towards biomedical engineering.