Questions from a prospective Pre-Op student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J0oh106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently began considering Pre-opt as a major. For about the last 6 years I was dead set on accounting/Business Admin. Quite a change, I know. Here are my questions:

-Is SUNY Optometry a respected O.D. School? There isn't much talk about it here.

-I am a senior in high school and Science is my weakest subject, Is that going to mar my chances of succeeding in an O.D. program? Basically, Is high grades in H.S. science a sort of sign of success in O.D.? Or will I learn all that I need to in Pre-Opt?

-What is the OAT average grade?

_Was anyone not so hot in H.S. science but excelled in college?

Thanks for taking time to help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take science (except gen bio) or math (past algebra) in HS, and those two I did take, I didn't do exceptionally well in. I did very well in undergrad. It's hard work but you can do it. Try going to a smaller undergrad so you can get help if needed.

SUNY is a great school.

Hi, I recently began considering Pre-opt as a major. For about the last 6 years I was dead set on accounting/Business Admin. Quite a change, I know. Here are my questions:

-Is SUNY Optometry a respected O.D. School? There isn't much talk about it here.

-I am a senior in high school and Science is my weakest subject, Is that going to mar my chances of succeeding in an O.D. program? Basically, Is high grades in H.S. science a sort of sign of success in O.D.? Or will I learn all that I need to in Pre-Opt?

So pre-optometry (and pre-med or pre-dental for that matter) are not college majors. They are academic paths - not majors. I think it is much too early to tell whether or not you can or will excel in science in college. You have to take all the required science courses and doing that will give you at least an indication of whether or not you can handle and learn the concepts, which will probably be the best personal marker for success in an optometry curriculum. Using grades from high school science courses is not a real great indication, not in my opinion. There is a huge difference between high school and college.

See how you do in your introductory college science courses (bio, gchem, ochem, physics, math) and take it from there. If you are serious you will learn how to learn the material.

So why the change from accounting/business admin to optometry?

I won't get into school specifics as that has been beaten into the ground. All schools are respected (don't chime in if you want to bash another school...it will just show your ignorance) enough to have been accredited. Each school has their differences.

If you take a look at this website - http://www.opted.org - you can find out information about the OAT and average overall scores and averages for incoming classes to each of the optometry schools. Statistically, the 50th percentile is around 300 (on a scale of 200-400).

Science was always my "worst" subject in high school and standardized tests (worst meaning my others were better, getting As and Bs in science instead of just As in my others) but its different in college. I think you just need to get your feet wet and see if its the right path for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I pretty much figured that HS science paled in comparison to college level. I wanted to do Acc. because I have very strong skills in math and economics. I love math because it is an exact science. You're either right or wrong. I mainly disliked science because it's so vague, or at least that's how I learned it. I disliked the lack of definite answers and basically gave up on it.

There are very little science requirements for a BS in accounting, so I don't wanna waste my time with science courses that will hurt my GPA. What I want to do is take the classes and if I do well, move on towards pre-opt and if I am not, continue with acc. I need to have a long talk with my academic adviser.

The other issue that I have is that when I grad. HS I will have 20 college credits which won't carrry over if I decide on pre-opt. They will, however, transfer if I decide on acc. But this is hardly the place to discuss transfer credits. I do appreciate the help though, so thanks again

Any doctoral degree career in the health care field is going to require a substantial science background. If science is your weakest subject, careers in health care may not be the best choice for you, and I would say YES, it would mar your chances of succeeding in a pre-optometry and optometry programs.

Part of being a good doctor (in any field) is that you not only have "clinical skills" and "bed/chair side mannor" but that you also have a genuine sense of scientific curiosity. In another posting you claimed that you disliked the lack of definate answers in science. Well, in optometry, medicine, etc. etc. the answers are many times not definate. If that's frustrating for you then you should stick with accounting.

just wanted to throw out that premedicine is a major at some schools

For example, note that the University of Dayton offers a BS in both premedicine and predentistry. I know quite a number of friends who graduated from there and got into top schools

http://artssciences.udayton.edu/PremedicalStudies/academics.asp

Wow, I never knew. Still seems a little flaky to me...but there are people that just love saying "i'm majoring in premed" and now at some schools its true. I'll have to remember that:D

Thanks for the help. I pretty much figured that HS science paled in comparison to college level. I wanted to do Acc. because I have very strong skills in math and economics. I love math because it is an exact science. You're either right or wrong. I mainly disliked science because it's so vague, or at least that's how I learned it. I disliked the lack of definite answers and basically gave up on it.

There are very little science requirements for a BS in accounting, so I don't wanna waste my time with science courses that will hurt my GPA. What I want to do is take the classes and if I do well, move on towards pre-opt and if I am not, continue with acc. I need to have a long talk with my academic adviser.

The other issue that I have is that when I grad. HS I will have 20 college credits which won't carrry over if I decide on pre-opt. They will, however, transfer if I decide on acc. But this is hardly the place to discuss transfer credits. I do appreciate the help though, so thanks again

There is no reason you can't go for and graduate with an accounting/business degree while taking your optometry prerequisites at the same time. You don't have to have a specific degree to be accepted to most schools, just the required prerequisites. It might take a little extra time, but if you end up deciding not to go to optometry school, at least you would still have a degree which is useful. Not only that, but having a strong business background could definitely aid in opening and maintaining a private practice if you did choose optometry.

There is no reason you can't go for and graduate with an accounting/business degree while taking your optometry prerequisites at the same time. You don't have to have a specific degree to be accepted to most schools, just the required prerequisites. It might take a little extra time, but if you end up deciding not to go to optometry school, at least you would still have a degree which is useful. Not only that, but having a strong business background could definitely aid in opening and maintaining a private practice if you did choose optometry.

ahh i fought over that one for a long time. spend my first two years as a double major in accounting/finance for that very same reason. but then i realized that if i didn't get in, i'd rather do research, teach, become a nurse, nurse practitioner, or physicians assistant over doing accounting/finance. I've even worked for the Big 4 as an intern (Ernst & Young). So I've learned that you can still do a lot with a science degree even if you don't go to med/dent/opt school. I am loving microbiology much more than I ever did accounting.

so if you like accounting/finance and would love a career in that as backup, go for it. if you are only doing it to have a "safe" backup, then don't. if you really want healthcare you can still pursue it even if you don't choose the professional route. You can get your BS in Nursing in 1 year if you have a BS in something else and meet prereqs (most all are contained in a science degree except maybe human nutrition or something of the like).

I think that if you want to do research, then do not do a premed program as it is too broad but you should specialize instead

no harm in taking such a major if you want to go into professional school of course- actually the best route depending on how you do the courses, get a higher gpa but it could be the opposite- depends on the school

in quebec, the real pre-med program is especially for those who have already been accepted into med school but need to take some basic undergrad courses before going straight into med school from cegep which should be your grade 12 and 13 equivalents
They take a range of social sciences, psyc and arts courses in addition to two physiology, two anatomy, two organic, and two biology
of course- this includes having done the health program in cegep= 2 bio, 2chem, 1 organic, 3 math, 3 physics plus english, humanities, french, english and the jazz

I think that if you want to do research, then do not do a premed program as it is too broad but you should specialize instead

no harm in taking such a major if you want to go into professional school of course- actually the best route depending on how you do the courses, get a higher gpa but it could be the opposite- depends on the school

that's why a biology major is only recommended if you are dead set on professional school. with biology you know a little about a lot of stuff but not a whole lot about any one topic. that is why i chose microbiology. i could go to any professional school or do research. just my two cents :).

After my first 2 years at Cal, my GPA was just over a 2.0. I barely passed my first year. Then I learned how to study properly and I found that getting good grades now means knowing strategic study skills. My last 2 years I averaged close to a 4.0. I took a 5 year hiatus and returned after acing the OCAT. I graduated in 1979 with honors. Optometry was a breeze. I had a great time.

I attended a number of ballroom dancing classes. So many that I later taught ballroom dancing. I was able to do all this because of good study technique. It's the single most important aspect of getting good grades or acing achievement tests. Here's the key:

""Studies have shown that people remember 20% of what they
read, 40% of what they read and hear and 60% of what they
read, hear and write."

If you didn't know this secret fact about getting good grades
now, much less how to transform it into effective study
skills, then you've been losing anywhere between 20%-40% of
your potential study efficiency!

On the Optometry College Admission Test my lowest score was 95. In two
other areas I scored the highest score possible 99 because The Method
taught me good study skills.

For more information link to:

http://www.parenting-healthy-children.com/studyskills.html

""Studies have shown that people remember 20% of what they
read, 40% of what they read and hear and 60% of what they
read, hear and write."

If you didn't know this secret fact about getting good grades
now, much less how to transform it into effective study
skills, then you've been losing anywhere between 20%-40% of
your potential study efficiency!

On the Optometry College Admission Test my lowest score was 95. In two
other areas I scored the highest score possible 99 because The Method
taught me good study skills.

For more information link to:

[URL="http://www.parenting-healthy-children.com/studyskills.html"]http://www.parenting-healthy-children.com/studyskills.html[/URL]

Still trying to figure out what this post has to do with any of the original questions posted by the thread starter. Or is this just a cheesy informational plug for your website?

Still trying to figure out what this post has to do with any of the original questions posted by the thread starter. Or is this just a cheesy informational plug for your website?

my vote goes to cheap advertising.