Questions needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd4me@510

druggist_2_be
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, would you guys please give me some interesting questions to ask the pharmacist I'm volunteering for? She's a clinical pharmacist, so anything clinical would be prefered. I'm planning to ask her for a LOR. I want to give her the impression that I'm interested in her work, which I am, but I don't know what to ask. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

ask her why Xopenex is better than Albuterol.

then looks at the Side Effect profile of both drugs and compare.

then ask her why Xopenex used at all?

If you're not currently in pharmacy school - your questions will be general unless you do drug research in your undergrad. So....you can ask:

What kinds of things do you look for when you're at work (drug interactions, dosing errors, appropriate drug choice)?

How do you communicate with the prescriber & what makes you choose one method over another? (ex - the more urgent need may require a phone conversation, less urgent - fax via intermediaries)

Do you initiate communication or do prescribers initiate communication? How often? When does it change?

How much involvement do you have in drug education with patients or nurses who administer, resp therapists, etc...?

What parts of her job does she like & what parts would she rather not do?

If you are a pharmacy student, then you can ask a question such Z-pk suggested, otherwise, the question is inappropriate & could be misconstrued.

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up Qs are the best. Just ask her about something when she's done explaining it to you. Shows you're paying attention and quick on your feet. The drawback is you have to be paying attention and quick on you feet! :laugh:

pharmd4me@510 said:
Hi, would you guys please give me some interesting questions to ask the pharmacist I'm volunteering for? She's a clinical pharmacist, so anything clinical would be prefered. I'm planning to ask her for a LOR. I want to give her the impression that I'm interested in her work, which I am, but I don't know what to ask. Thanks for the help!
You might also ask her how she happened to choose the career path she has, has she always worked in the clinical side, did she do a residency after pharmacy school and what was that like, etc.

Ask her how her job role has changed over the past 5 years. And, ask her what her clinical specialty is and what led her to that.

Then, ask her what is her opinion on hospital administrators. Why are they obsessed with tractors? And, why do 95% of them think that's how they got gonorrhea?

bananaface said:
Ask her how her job role has changed over the past 5 years. And, ask her what her clinical specialty is and what led her to that.

Then, ask her what is her opinion on hospital administrators. Why are they obsessed with tractors? And, why do 95% of them think that's how they got gonorrhea?

my obsession is golf, not tractors. :mad:

bananaface said:
I see that by your golf avatar. :rolleyes:

golf course requires many tractors to keep em maintained.

bananaface said:
So... you're all wet.

ehh... actually we've had 1 rainy day past 3 months..

We're in drought condition.. water restriction is in place.

bananaface said:
Yeah. But you have the pool. :cool:

My pool is saline... would probably kill the grass if used for irrigation. We still have plenty of irrigation water from our surrounding reserviors.