Questions: Observation Hours + References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulngratefulDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I just had some questions about observation hours and references.

1. So I submitted my observation hours for verification to the PTs I observed under. However, I didn't include their PT License numbers since I didn't know it. A couple have "completed" and "verified" my hours without their PT License number included. So my question is, even if the PT didn't put their license number, does it mean that it's actually verified? As long as it says it's complete on PTCAS, does that mean it's fine?

2. One of my PTs also submitted a reference on my behalf. However, I guess he didn't list his occupation as a PT or his organization? (I included a screenshot) Will PT schools know that he's a physical therapist? I mean, I guess they will when they read the letter, but some schools explicitly ask for 2 PT LORs. Do you think they would just forego my application if they don't see 2 PT LORs specifically listed in the title? Do you think I could call PTCAS to have this changed somehow?

Sorry for the long questions! I'm just worried these will hurt my chances of getting into PT school :/

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 2.01.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 2.01.37 PM.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 63
1. I didn't submit any license numbers & all my hours were fine. It's just extra verification it's a real PT.

2. I'm not 100% sure, however I actually had one school at one point reach out to me looking for my other PT reference and I just told them who it was. When they went back to check they did see it was there. It may not hurt once you submit to reach out to their admissions to let them know this was a PT reference although they did not note this.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if your PT didn't list their occupation, dpt programs will still know they're PTs because the reference form has a questionnaire that includes the question, "Are you a licensed physical therapist?" followed by 3 other questions further verifying they're PTs.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I didn't submit any license numbers & all my hours were fine. It's just extra verification it's a real PT.

2. I'm not 100% sure, however I actually had one school at one point reach out to me looking for my other PT reference and I just told them who it was. When they went back to check they did see it was there. It may not hurt once you submit to reach out to their admissions to let them know this was a PT reference although they did not note this.

Even if your PT didn't list their occupation, dpt programs will still know they're PTs because the reference form has a questionnaire that includes the question, "Are you a licensed physical therapist?" followed by 3 other questions further verifying they're PTs.

Thank you for your replies! Yea I called PTCAS and they said that everything is fine on my end, and if the program needs further verification (such as their PT license number), they would either contact me or the PT themselves and get it doublechecked on their end.