1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on ochem regarding oxidation

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by theedaddy77, May 9, 2008.

1. theedaddy77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    for oozenalysis, i know if you have a ethelyne, the reactants will take it to carbolxlic, but if you are starting with a 1-propene (3 carbons and there is a double bond in it) how do you know BASED ON REAGENTS if it will go to carboxlyix or aldeyde? . im not talking about kmno4 but the the ozone one.. thanks SDN!

2. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    to determine whether or not you will get carboxylic acid or aldehyde, gotta see if it's under oxidative conditions or reducing conditions. instead of possibly confusing you with my explanation, i'll just show you the website which explains in clear and concise manner. One which kaplan book doesn't do a very good job at might I add...haha

For alkene + ozone
    http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch06/ch6-10.html

for alkyne + ozone
    http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch09/ch9-11.html

hope that helps. let me know if you still need help

3. theedaddy77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so i looked at both sites and they were both helpful, but so reductive workup will be with a an acid but h202 wouldbe an oxidative workup so it will become 2 carboxlyix? Please hit me up when you get the chance, and thanks for the help!!!!

4. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yup you got it. reductive workup by zinc and acetic acid will give you aldehydes while oxidative work up with hydrogen peroxide (h202) will give you carboxylic acids.