Questions on Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abhavsar

Future MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Little lost and would appreciate some help.

I am currently a fourth year at UC-Irvine Psychology Major/Political Science Minor. This year I discovered my passion was medicine. Unfortunately I did poorly my second year at Undergrad but have been on an upward trend since then. I have not taken MCATS or any prerequisites for medical school and am hoping that Post Bacc is the right route for me. I currently have a 2.6 undergraduate cgpa. However like I said it is on an upward trend and the bulk of the difficult classes for my major are over and I have nothing but political science classes ahead of me. I anticipate I can by the end of this school year, raise my gpa to 2.8. My questions are the following.

1. Should I spend an extra year at my Undergrad? I can potentially raise my gpa over 3.0.

2. What are my chances of getting into a Post Bacc by applying now, or applying after I raise my gpa? (I am strongly looking into SF State because of it's location/have heard good things.)

3. Should I do a Formal or an Informal post bacc? (Not sure if I will be accepted into a formal one because I've heard it's highly competitive.)

4. Any recommendations on Post Bacc programs that would be good for me?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to take an extra year at your undergraduate institution (and you're paying in-state tuition), that is by far the best bet for you.

You can do the prereqs in a year, especially if you have 5th year status for priority registration for classes. No offense meant, but no respectable formal postbac program will take you with your GPA so you might as well take care of business at your home institution. Even better, you can spend the rest of your undergraduate career getting to know the premed advisor and the members of the premed committee who will eventually write your letter of recommendation.

Thank you for the advice newman, I really appreciate it. Stay a 5th year to complete premedical requirements is a definite option for me. However, if I am able to raise my GPA over a 3.0 within the next few quarter at my home institution, is doing a post-bacc a viable option for me? What is a satisfactory gpa for for being admitted to a pb program? Once again I really appreciate the input. Really trying to look at all the option before I jump into one and gather as much information as possible.

You could get admitted to a PB right now but the key word in Newman's post was respectable.

3.0 you might get a chance but you are still a fair way away from the good post bacs