hftb23

2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and help out.

I’m an IM intern in a community program. I absolutely like the people I work with, however I want to transfer to an academic program. I really want to practice in academic medicine in the future. I think training in an academic program will provide more opportunities.

So my first question is, can I only do this for the second year, since I signed a one-year contract? If, say a program has an PGY-1 opening now and I’d like to transfer, is it considered a violation of the contract or the NRMP match policies?

And then the next question is, when do I start to ask the other programs if they have openings? I asked a few and none of them knew if they’d have a PGY-2 opening next year, which is very understandable. When do the programs know if there will be an opening? I don't want to be late and miss the boat but it seems asking now about the next year isn't very productive.

Thank you very much.

OP
H

hftb23

2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
Thank you for your reply. I read that post and most others I could find online (which were not many), and it seems:
I can switch program anytime, in the first year or the beginning of the second year. In any case, I probably need to ask many programs and find out if there's an opening, then move from there.
I still have a question, when do the programs typically know if they will have an opening for PGY-2? Practically, I can't bother them by asking every few weeks, so when should I ask?
At first I thought I would like to fulfill my duty for the first year so my program would't be short of one intern. But does it really matter to my program? It'll soon be interview season and perhaps it's easier for them to find a person who can start sooner.
Thank you.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Openings can happen at any time. The most common time for a PGY-2 opening to occur is right at the beginning of the year -- some PGY-1 decides to do something else, much like you're considering. But any number of issues can create a mid year opening, at any level.

In general you contact programs once. They will keep your application around in case an opening occurs. Or they will toss your application because they are not interested even if an opening occurs. Either way, you're all set. I would probably consider re-contacting programs in March if you haven't found a spot by then.

Transferring from a community to a university program won't be easy. Having your PD advocate for you (if they are willing, and if you are deserving), would likely be a huge benefit.

OP
H

hftb23

2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
Thank you so much, aProgDirector! That's very useful advice.