Questions prior to applying for postbac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xena159

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a federal employee who graduated UC Berkeley with a BA in Latin American Studies, about a 3.4 GPA, ten years ago.

About four years ago I took some courses at an art school; they were graded and I received financial aid for them, but I never completed another degree. Would these courses be calculated in my overall GPA? Or is it just my undergrad degree that would be calculated? (The reason I ask is because I withdrew late from a course, resulting in a WF.) Or do you only submit transcripts from schools where you got your degree?

Also-should I mention in my application for postbac that I'm a certified massage therapist? Cheesy or not, it was one of the sparks that ignited my interest in medical school. I just don't know whether they would believe it was beneath their standard. I've actually volunteered a lot of hours as a massage therapist, and it's given me an excellent understanding of the muscles and bones in the body and an appreciation for treating individuals.

Ok-- one other question. The last time I took calculus was at the junior college about fifteen years ago (when I was in high school). I got a B; should I retake it prior to applying for postbac? Or should I just refresh my skills?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

All classes taken at the undergrad level (even after receiving a degree) factor into your GPA. So yes, those art classes will count. I'm not sure what "WF" stands for, but I'm doing to assume that means Withdrawn and given a grade of F (this will hurt your GPA a lot unfortunately).

I strongly urge you to a search for AMCAS calculator spreadsheet on google and calculate your GPA with all classes taken at the undergrad level to give you a good idea where you are starting from.

I would defintely mention that you are a certified massage therapist. Any and all experiences add to the application.

I wouldn't re-take any classes unless you received a C or lower.

Hi everyone! I'm a federal employee who graduated UC Berkeley with a BA in Latin American Studies, about a 3.4 GPA, ten years ago.

About four years ago I took some courses at an art school; they were graded and I received financial aid for them, but I never completed another degree. Would these courses be calculated in my overall GPA? Or is it just my undergrad degree that would be calculated? (The reason I ask is because I withdrew late from a course, resulting in a WF.) Or do you only submit transcripts from schools where you got your degree?

Also-should I mention in my application for postbac that I'm a certified massage therapist? Cheesy or not, it was one of the sparks that ignited my interest in medical school. I just don't know whether they would believe it was beneath their standard. I've actually volunteered a lot of hours as a massage therapist, and it's given me an excellent understanding of the muscles and bones in the body and an appreciation for treating individuals.

Ok-- one other question. The last time I took calculus was at the junior college about fifteen years ago (when I was in high school). I got a B; should I retake it prior to applying for postbac? Or should I just refresh my skills?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice!!!

I'm halfway through my post bacc program and haven't needed calc. Unless you take calc based physics, which you don't need for the mcat anyway, you won't need it. Even if you take a class that uses some calc most profs will be happy to give you a refresher and if you are really in a bind you can probably go to the tutoring center and have someone help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with the Feds, lol. Take your 20 and retire.

Six years ago I was asked to interview for a Social Security Administration job. I should've realized it was a good gig when I noticed all the employees driving European imports. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your pursuits though. :)

*Post 1,003 and Climbing*

Last edited:

I thought this was an interesting question. One respondent already said to mention it on the app. Maybe I'm off the mark, but it's my impression that massage is being recognized more and more for its health benefits (and less and less thought of as a uphamism for other activities), is covered by many insurers, and though limited, research in the biomedical field has been done on its benefits. I worked with a complimentary medicine research group at a top hospital/med school and massage was definitely one of their research interests -- as was yoga, social support, etc.

Again, I'm no expert so consult with others, but I think this could actually make a great anecdote in a PS. Not something adcoms will have come across much, will make for interesting discussion at interviews, and generally make you memorable. As a non-trad this seems particularly good, as it was my impression during interviews that they really liked to understand how you came to have an interest in medicine after many years doing something else. In fact, my PS told the story of how I came apply to medical school (starting with an attention grabbing anecdote -- which your massage experience could be!) and I had one interviewer (I only ended up interviewing at 3 schools, so 1 out of 7 interviewers) tell me he really appreciated that my PS walked him through my various activities, jobs, experiences, which just seen on the AMCAS were hard to put together and understand.

Whatever you do, i'm sure that experience will continue to have a positive impact on your career. good luck!