questions questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrisobean

The Killer Bean
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i read that list on AAMC of questions to ask at your interview..

but alot of that seems to be answerable from each school's website (like grading systems, match lists...)

will you look like an idiot if you ask something on an interview that could've been answered on the website? won't that make you look uninformed and uninterested in their school?

i have a problem with asking questions, b/c i can never think of anything until after the fact. when i come home and my mom starts asking me stuff, i end up kicking myself for not thinking of that. i tend to only ask questions when i dont understand something. (that is a semi-lie, since i ask a million questions on this board!)

what if you make a list of questions to ask beforehand, and it all gets answered in your tour and presentation?

and what happens if you apply to the med school of your undergrad school? what the hell can you possibly ask then, when you have spent 4 years of your life on the same campus, working with alot of the same profs, in the same buildings...?

i seem to panic alot about these interviews, especially since i dont even have one yet. sorry. but thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Chrisobean
will you look like an idiot if you ask something on an interview that could've been answered on the website? won't that make you look uninformed and uninterested in their school?

Possibly.

Perhaps ask some questions with highly subjective answers, like "What do you feel is the most important strength of School X" or "Can you give me some insight into the research opportunities available", etc.

I like to ask 'human being' questions like: "how did you find the adjustment from being an undergrad to a medstudent?" or, "how do you handle the different demands on your time now?" these kinds of real life questions are great to ask to student interviewers, and you really get an excellent feel for the reality you might be looking at yourself in a few months.

With professional interviewers like MDs and whatnot, I would ask similar real life questions: "what are the most important changes that you have observed in medicine over your time here at XYZ school?" or, "what are your research/clinical interests?" Things like that. I know it sounds odd to not address the website questions, but interviewers are people too, and they probably hear the same freakin' questions all the time. I try and not be so nervous but to just be myself and ask sincere, honest questions.

It can just change the whole tone of the interview when you look at the other person as an interesting person, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think actually having experience with at least one interview will help you formulate good questions. from my experience after i went to my first interview i found out things that i liked about the school. such as their grading scheme, number of affiliated hospitals, residency matches (competitive vs. non-competitive and top choices), curriculum, number of hours spent in lecture and small groups, amount of time allotted for step 1 review (very important to get a good score here), location, etc. from there you can research the school that you will be interviewing at and try to find all of the good things that you like in a medical school. all of the things you couldnt find or were unsure about can become questions for your interviewer.

Two questions I like to ask are "what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of this school?" and "how are the med and surgical departments dealing with the new 80 hour rules?" I had someone at one school tell me that the neurosurgeons there were the best at instituting and enforcing the new rules. Also, as woolie suggested, ask the interviewer about their work. Who knows--you may end up wanting to do research for them.
Good luck!

You could say.... I read about so- and so on your web page but I was wondering if you could expand on it? Or how do you think your so-and-so program is working and how does it benefits your students?

You are bound to have questions about the school. Just read through the web pages and think about anything that comes to your mind and then ask it.

I haven't been asked if I have any questions this year at any of my interviews. The first time applied I was asked if I had any questions at all 4 interviews