Update Letter Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OChemIsntFun

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently had an interview at one of my in-state schools. After the interview, they provided us with an email address where we could send update letters if we had any significant updates to share. I wanted to reach out to discuss sending an update about a new job I've taken on, which differs from what I initially stated in my primary application. I have a couple of questions about how to go about this:

1: I'm wondering how detailed my update should be. My plan was to explain my new position and then briefly connect it to my interests and the school's research opportunities that I hope to be a part of (since it's a research job in a somewhat niche field closely related to a major department at the school). However, should I keep it more straightforward and simply describe my new job without going into any connections?

2: I assume that I should compose the update letter in Word / Google Docs and attach it as a PDF in the email. Alternatively, should I paste the update directly into the body of the email?

Thanks for your help. I hope these questions don't come across as too silly. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Solution
I agree that you should succinctly update the school since they are open to updates. With all due respect, I'd also briefly connect it to the specific department. Don't make them guess or think about why this update is relevant to your interest in their school.
A job you haven't started is a pretty weak update (unless this is one of the schools that likes to be flattered/begged...).
With my previous comment in mind do you have any advice regarding the questions in my initial post? Would appreciate your expertise on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update letters tend to be meaningless at public schools. They typically assign scores in some manner to applicants after the interview and nothing you say will move you up the list afterwards.

Update letters tend to be meaningless at public schools. They typically assign scores in some manner to applicants after the interview and nothing you say will move you up the list afterwards.
Wait until you have something substantive to say.
If the school wants updates, they will usually tell you how they prefer to receive them.

They told us they will evaluate our interviews this upcoming week, and that any update letters we send should be sent in by this weekend if we want them to be considered before they evaluate us. One of the examples they gave towards sending this letter was if we had a "new position," and it's a pretty unique-ish job I have.

They didn't share any other details besides the email address to send them hence my previous questions. :)

Last edited:
They told us they will evaluate our interviews this upcoming week, and that any update letters we send should be sent in by this weekend if we want them to be considered before they evaluate us. One of the examples they gave towards sending this letter was if we had a "new position," and it's a pretty unique-ish job I have that includes performing autopsies for organ donation towards dementia research which I would like to share if possible.

They didn't share any other details besides the email address to send them hence my previous questions. :)
Attach as a PDF and keep it short. It likely would not move the needle even if you tried connecting it to the school since it does not sound like it was something you did to shore up a weakness in your app.

Reactions: 1 users
Attach as a PDF and keep it short. It likely would not move the needle even if you tried connecting it to the school since it does not sound like it was something you did to shore up a weakness in your app.

Great, I'll do this. Thanks so much!

I agree that you should succinctly update the school since they are open to updates. With all due respect, I'd also briefly connect it to the specific department. Don't make them guess or think about why this update is relevant to your interest in their school.

Solution
Thanks Linda -- I'll do this. Appreciate your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Linda -- I just received an interview invitation today from the school I sent the update to earlier this week. I'm so glad I took your advice and thought you would appreciate this update. Thanks again!

• Love
Hi Linda -- I just received an interview invitation today from the school I sent the update to earlier this week. I'm so glad I took your advice and thought you would appreciate this update. Thanks again!
Thank you so much for updating me! Congratulations and good luck with the interview.