Questions regarding applying to dermatology residency&internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boykim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 2nd year medical student from non-English speaking country(6year program), who is planning residency training on dermatology in US upon graduation.

While I was searching for relevant information on the internet, I came to know that I would have to finish internship(or PGY-1) training before applying to dermatology residency program. Since I never heard of any international student applying directly to internship programme in US, I'm a little confused right here.

I would like to know if I can finish internship training in my home country and apply directly to PGY-2? and if not, I would like to know how US internship matching process works.

Members don't see this ad.

The matching process is the same for both intern year and advanced program (Derm). You apply for both in the same year. The intern year starts right after match, and the Derm residency starts a year later.

Thus, when you match into a Derm program, the program doesn't start for over a year later.

There are a few times when a typically advanced program such as Derm will start the same year as the match. These are designated with special letters in ERAS.

The matching process is the same for both intern year and advanced program (Derm). You apply for both in the same year. The intern year starts right after match, and the Derm residency starts a year later.

Thus, when you match into a Derm program, the program doesn't start for over a year later.

There are a few times when a typically advanced program such as Derm will start the same year as the match. These are designated with special letters in ERAS.

Thank you very, very much Dral. Your reply was so much helpful.

If I may ask one more question for clarification, I would like to know if internship year taken abroad is recognized in United States?

For example, if I finished my internship year in Ireland or United Kingdom, can I apply directly to United States as PGY-2?

Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Port...ements/080_dermatology_07012014_u06152014.pdf

See section III.A.1

It must be an ACGME approved intern year. I believe most intern years outside the US (other than Canada) are not ACGME approved and thus would not count.

I'm sure you know how difficult it is to get into a Derm residency in the US. It is not easy even for top US MD grads. Please be sure you know what you are getting into before you spend a lot of money and time. I am not discouraging you, but you should at least be aware.

Last edited:
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Port...ements/080_dermatology_07012014_u06152014.pdf

See section III.A.1

It must be an ACGME approved intern year. I believe most intern years outside the US (other than Canada) are not ACGME approved and thus would not count.

I'm sure you know how difficult it is to get into a Derm residency in the US. It is not easy even for top US MD grads. Please be sure you know what you are getting into before you spend a lot of money and time. I am not discouraging you, but you should at least be aware.

Yes. Thanks again for your help and your advice was also helpful.