Questions regarding pharmacy

yevei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there's a moderator around, please delete my previous posts. I dunno what happened there but apparently I started two blank topics.

Hi community, I am currently a high school junior who is highly interested in the career of pharmacy, and I have researched greatly on this subject, but I still have a few questions.

1) I am an international student, will that hinder me from becoming a pharmacist?
2) Should I go 0-6, or spend a few years in college, take the PCAT, and transfer to a pharmacy school?
3) Does the ranking of the pharmacy school matter?
4) From where I am now, what else do I need to do in order to become a pharmacist? Yes I know I have a LONG way to go.

Yes, I am a young and immature high school student who is completely ignorant. Please be nice to me

Members don't see this ad.

1) No it will not.
2) It depends on you. If you are sure you want to be a pharmacist, then go for the 0+6 program. If you're not completely sure, then go to undergrad, then apply for pharmacy school.
3) Not really as most of it is ranked based on their research. But make sure that school has been accredited and go to the ones that people always say are good
4) Start by shadowing a pharmacist, it'll help you determine if you really want to be a pharmacist. Start to see some schools you want to go to (if you are going 0+6 program)

1) If you are not a permanent resident or a US citizen, some schools will not admit you to the program since it may be difficult (but not impossible) to get a job as a pharmacist from a company that will sponsor your visa.
2) Depends on you actually.
a) If you go to a 0-6 school, then you have to work hard for your first two years so that you can be guaranteed acceptance to the pharmacy program.
b) If you go to few years of college, then you can experience college on your own, meet people and grow up as a person by learning about yourself and also about the world. You can also take courses that interest you in undergrad instead of taking only the courses required in the 0-6 program.
3) The ranking of the school does not matter.
4) Depends on which route you take
a) 0-6 program means you'll be a pharmacist in 6 years after high school. You will have to work hard during those 6 years and be a professional from your first day of pharmacy school for the rest of your life.
b) If you go to college first, it's however many years you spend in college + 4 years of pharmacy school. Most people spend 2-3 years in undergrad and then start pharmacy school. Some people want to get their degrees and graduate in case things come up where they have to withdraw from pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.

I'm just wondering, are 0+6 programs supposedly easier or not as good as the normal route where you study in undergrad and then transfer to pharm school? Because from the rankings, it seemed like the schools with 0+6 programs are usually ranked in the back. I also viewed the passing rates for the pharmacy exam and the 0-6 schools seemed to usually have a lower than average passing rate.

Also, this person I know from my school did really bad in highschool, and she got accepted into St. John pharmacy. But knowing her personality, she just doesn't seem like the type of person who cares about school or her own future. Yet she's going to be a pharmacist. It makes me wonder two things. Does she realize pharmacy is rigorous? OR are 0-6 supposedly very easy?

The current pharmacy school I have in mind is MCPHS-Boston, but I've heard negative rumors regarding this school, such as it having a slack program, professors aren't so good, too easy, etc. Can anyone give me more information on this?

Don't get me wrong, the reason I'm asking if it's easy is because I don't want it to be. I actually want to learn.

Sorry for asking this noob question but... how do you shadow a pharmacist? Do you just call them up and ask them? (I'm currently living in Asia)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks guys.

I'm just wondering, are 0+6 programs supposedly easier or not as good as the normal route where you study in undergrad and then transfer to pharm school? Because from the rankings, it seemed like the schools with 0+6 programs are usually ranked in the back. I also viewed the passing rates for the pharmacy exam and the 0-6 schools seemed to usually have a lower than average passing rate.
It's an accelerated program, so students might struggle a bit, and the ones that do make it are stressed out due to the intense amount of work to do in 6 years.
If you go to undergrad first, then you can take some upper level courses and be better prepared for pharmacy school.
Also, this person I know from my school did really bad in highschool, and she got accepted into St. John pharmacy. But knowing her personality, she just doesn't seem like the type of person who cares about school or her own future. Yet she's going to be a pharmacist. It makes me wonder two things. Does she realize pharmacy is rigorous? OR are 0-6 supposedly very easy?
The first two years is supposed to be the easiest out of the 6 years. If she makes it through with the GPA requirements, then she'll start her professional years after the first two. Once she starts pharmacy course work, she'll either change and realize how much work and commitment it takes, or she'll decide she doesn't like it and withdraw.
If she doesn't and still doesn't take things seriously, then she'll get to work with her preceptors and they will constantly get on to her about being a professional and taking school and work seriously. Some people at my school say that they would take things seriously at work and not at school, but you have to do both to be a good pharmacist. I wouldn't want those people at my school to be my pharmacist. I will move across town just to avoid them :laugh:
The current pharmacy school I have in mind is MCPHS-Boston, but I've heard negative rumors regarding this school, such as it having a slack program, professors aren't so good, too easy, etc. Can anyone give me more information on this?
I know four people who go to this school and they are all in their fourth years which is second year of pharmacy coursework. They haven't told me any specifics about their school, but from what I understand about 0-6 schools, one difficulty is that you spend two years in pre-pharmacy taking courses geared towards just starting pharmacy coursework. The other four years are supposed to be ok if you have done well your first two years, but it's completely different. Classes start getting more intense, just like any other pharmacy school.
I would recommend talking to people who attend this school to get specific information.
Sorry for asking this noob question but... how do you shadow a pharmacist? Do you just call them up and ask them? (I'm currently living in Asia)
One thing I did was go talk to a pharmacist or a pharmacy manager and ask them if I could shadow. In some retail chains and independent stores, they will let you, but others will not.

Last edited: