A Few Questions Regarding Pre Med and Medical School

UpcomingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, soon I will be applying to colleges and I intend to pursue a medical career. I have done some research online and I have some idea of what to expect, but there are a few questions that I still have. Hopefully someone can help, thank you very much in advance.

1) If I intend to eventually pursue a highly competitive field/residency, such as Dermatology or Ophthalmology, would going to a top-tier school with high academic standards for pre-med and medical school significantly increase chances due to better preparation for exams and being just able to say I went attended one?

2) What else could I be doing outside of academics to increase my chances of landing a competitive residency and ultimately a competitive specialty? On occasion I have been shadowing/volunteering at a Dermatologist's office, will doing this ever increase my chances?

3) Any other advice that somewhat relates to these questions?

Thanks again, all responses are greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Go to any school you want where you can do well. No residency will care where you went to UG, they will however care where you go to med school.

2. Nothing in UG can help your app for residency outside of very rare circumstances IMO.

3. Relax and enjoy college my dude.

1. Absolutely not. It really doesn't matter (I mean, go an accredited school and try to avoid community college but otherwise no). Grades and prepping for the MCAT are entirely on you. Oh, and before you ask, no the major does not matter at all. Just get good grades and do the pre-req courses.

2. The biggest thing you can do right now is form good study habits and get into college. None of the shadowing you have done so far can be counted on the AMCAS/AACOMAS applications - they only count things you did beginning your first year of college. Hitting a variety of ECs in undergrad is ideal (balance leadership/volunteering/medical exposure/work/some research if you can/etc) will help you get into medical school but none of that will matter for residency.

3. Take it a step at a time. You are putting the cart before the horse when you think about residency while you are still in high school. Get into college then take those challenges as they come. Come back here after your first semester of undergrad to check in periodically and make sure you are getting the right ECs and grades. Enjoy.