Questions regarding Trulearn QBanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted592694

Hello all,

I'm a CA-1 still preparing for the BASIC exam and have been using Trulearn for part of my prep. I plan on eventually using it to supplement studying for my CA-2 and 3 years but am unsure whether it's worth it to purchase a subscription to the ITE question bank or the others available. They also have an 'Advanced' qbank and 'Written Part I' qbank...what is the difference between those two?

Thank you for any suggestions/comments!

Members don't see this ad.

I used M5 q bank as a resident and thought it was helpful. Never heard of truelearn....maybe I should make my own question bank, sell prescription for $$$$$$ and retire.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Trulearn folks had this to say about the two versions of their written exam q bank:

"The ABA Part 1 bank is for the old board exam, which was a combination of both the BASIC and Advanced questions. The Advanced bank is for the new board exam. It still contains some basic questions, but in limited quantities, following the blueprint of the current board exam. The Part 1 bank is not being updated, and is currently only still available for customers needing to retake that exam."

I used M5 q bank as a resident and thought it was helpful. Never heard of truelearn....maybe I should make my own question bank, sell prescription for $$$$$$ and retire.

Same here, helped me stay in the 85-90th percentile on the ITE's, pass the written and gave me a solid knowledge base to pass the oral boards. I did a few questions from my buddy's true learn subscription but I didn't like the style as much as M5 so I never bought my own. The M5 was comprehensive, breaks the questions down into simple concepts and is written in a conversational tone so it kept me interested. I also tried the Matthes review book and Hall but I found the questions were either too detailed or out of date. Open anesthesia qbank was a waste of my time and money, too detailed and obscure.

I went heavy on questions while studying for my boards, and supplanted that with reading from review books.

Of all the question sources I used (Hall, M5, TrueLearn) I found that TrueLearn was the best source.

It was very similar to the QBank used for USMLE, and allowed you to take "tests" in several different modes (timed, tutored, specialties), and it also kept track of your stats and compared them to other users. You could also create tests on subjects that you did poorly on and it was all done for you so I didn't have to waste time doing it myself. M5 was second best, but man that guy was obscure and tangential at times... I felt Hall was outdated at times, and would have an A-E question, and the reasoning for the answer being let's say C was "just because" but no other explanation given. Th

Also, the biggest reason I like TrueLearn is that it actually dissected each answer choice. I think the most frustrating thing about multiple choice questions is that often times you would narrow it down to two choices but sometimes pick the wrong one. TrueLearn was one of the few sources I found that would explain why A was the correct choice but also explain why B, C, D and E were wrong. Unlike Hall, where there was no further explanation a lot of times, by knowing why an answer is WRONG can help you figure out why the correct answer is right. Also, having a breakdown on what percentage your peers chose for each answer helped me understand if there were whole concepts I was missing, or just small details. It really helps you figure out what to look for when you answer a question and then find out either 95% or 5% of the people got it right, as well as see the percentages of the other answers chosen.

In conclusion... obviously reading is very important, but I think doing a ton of questions is important and you will see that a lot of stuff is repeated, cause it's what's important (usually...). Sorry if I came off as a spokesperson for a company, but I just felt that of all the question sources this was the best. And at least when I was studying I got a 3 month subscription for like $150-200. No idea what it is now, but if you call them I'm sure they will throw in a discount code, and if your program has any educational fund I think it's worth it. Finally, if you call a lot of these study prep companies you can often get nice group discounts if you can convince a group of co-residents to sign up with you. These companies will often drastically reduce the prices if they know they can get a group of sales.

Best of luck with whatever method you use.

Reactions: 1 user