MD Questions to ask a Program Director at an interest group meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to try and get a little list of questions that would be worthwhile to ask at an interest group meeting with a program director and assistant program director at a T5 residency program. What are some questions that you would want answers to? More so doing this pre-emptively in case everyone sits there staring at each other lol

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to try and get a little list of questions that would be worthwhile to ask at an interest group meeting with a program director and assistant program director at a T5 residency program. What are some questions that you would want answers to? More so doing this pre-emptively in case everyone sits there staring at each other lol
What specialty?

Raise your hand and then pause dramatically. Hit them with this
"Do. You. Have. Any. Questions. For. Me?"

#rankedtomatchasanM1

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sure your attendees will have enough questions but if conversation runs dry:

1.) Ask them to rank the importance of major selection factors (grades, clerkships, step scores) from their program's perspective. This should lead to discussion into grades vs. boards vs. rotations. They may also just say everything's important but that's telling too.

2.) Ask them what common things to avoid in an application.

In my experience (from doing similar panels for interest groups) having pre-canned questions for the first few helps out a lot. Takes the pressure off of the people there of asking the first questions and takes the pressure off you of thinking you might sit there staring at each other. We've also sent out google forms before to attendees in advance asking for questions they have (can also help with questions people might not want to ask directly).

Then after a couple, you can open it up to everyone, if there is ever a silent space then just throw in another question from the google form.

In my experience (from doing similar panels for interest groups) having pre-canned questions for the first few helps out a lot. Takes the pressure off of the people there of asking the first questions and takes the pressure off you of thinking you might sit there staring at each other. We've also sent out google forms before to attendees in advance asking for questions they have (can also help with questions people might not want to ask directly).

Then after a couple, you can open it up to everyone, if there is ever a silent space then just throw in another question from the google form.
I found the bolded to be quite effective!

Reactions: 1 user