Questions to ask a recruiter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebrrrg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've read some of the posts in here and get the feeling there are some strong opinions on different sides of many fences, but I haven't seen a good list of questions I should bring to a session with a recruiter.

I'm starting at SUNY Downstate in August (thanks). I'm meeting this week with an AF recruiter to talk about options, and with an Army recruiter next week. Perhaps a NG recruiter after that. I'd like to know differences in the programs, to get info on HPSP as well as FAP options for residency, etc ... and yes I've been reading these threads and do not want to dupe anything, but I'd like to hear what all y'all have been asking in these meetings to make sure I get the most of my time.

Here's a short list:
  • What are the deployments like, once I'm in active duty as an MD? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)
  • Does your branch force a GMO year if there is no residency match?
  • With your HPSP program, can I take a residency in a private hospital?
  • How long is OIC?
  • How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year, if I can't do a private residency? For EM on particular?
  • Do you cross-deploy to other branches?
  • What is the financial package, in detail? (of course)
  • Why choose this branch over one of the others?
  • Do you have a name/number/email of a doctor who's gone though your program and is currently deployed, or has finished his/her active duty? I'd like to get some individual impressions.

I'm just going after info at this point, I haven't made up my mind to apply, or chosen a branch yet. If there's a thread on this already, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see their responses to your questions. Especially the AF about the % of GMO/FS that come out every year, which I think has been up to ONE FOURTH or more of each incoming class. Also, its highly unlikely you will get a deferment and will have to train in the military.

I would suggest you spend more time on the stickies and read the pro's/con's thoroughly.

Ask yourself why you are going into the military, and if it has anything to do with money, you setting yourself up for misery. If the first choice is to be a physician, my opinion from my experience is that your are going to frequently find this concept of "officership" conflicting with your ethics as a physician. Although that is clearly a point of contention on these forums, that was certainly my experience and that of others in a system that TELLS you that you are an officer first, and a physician second, (even though it takes 6 weeks to make you an officer, and more than a decade to become a physician). The abililty to choose your specialty and depending on your qualifications where you train, and then practice, is something the military cannot guarantee you with the highest degree of certainty. Once you sign, you are their property, and their needs come first.

Regardless, let us know what they tell you, and go in with some information. Let them know this forum exists, though I would imagine they've lurked on it for a while.

Best of luck, and PM me if any other specific questions.

Thanks Galo. I've been reading posts (especially the stickies) for a while now -- there's a lot to go through, and I specifically searched this forum for things related to questions-to-ask-recruiters. This forum is where I've been getting my own question list from. :)

I know there's some strong opinions on 40 sides here ... at this point I'm exploring options. I'm not averse to military service (though after a week in Annapolis I probably won't be choosing the Navy, long story) and am sizing up my own pro's and con's.

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to post the answers I get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I've read some of the posts in here and get the feeling there are some strong opinions on different sides of many fences, but I haven't seen a good list of questions I should bring to a session with a recruiter.

I'm starting at SUNY Downstate in August (thanks). I'm meeting this week with an AF recruiter to talk about options, and with an Army recruiter next week. Perhaps a NG recruiter after that. I'd like to know differences in the programs, to get info on HPSP as well as FAP options for residency, etc ... and yes I've been reading these threads and do not want to dupe anything, but I'd like to hear what all y'all have been asking in these meetings to make sure I get the most of my time.

Here's a short list:
  • What are the deployments like, once I'm in active duty as an MD? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)
  • Does your branch force a GMO year if there is no residency match?
  • With your HPSP program, can I take a residency in a private hospital?
  • How long is OIC?
  • How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year, if I can't do a private residency? For EM on particular?
  • Do you cross-deploy to other branches?
  • What is the financial package, in detail? (of course)
  • Why choose this branch over one of the others?
  • Do you have a name/number/email of a doctor who's gone though your program and is currently deployed, or has finished his/her active duty? I'd like to get some individual impressions.

I'm just going after info at this point, I haven't made up my mind to apply, or chosen a branch yet. If there's a thread on this already, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

even if you assume that you ask all the right questions, and get all the complete and accurate answers, they may not apply when you go on active duty.

For example, if I had asked about cross service deployments when I was applying for HPSP in 1998, the answer would have been rare if ever.

by the time I was on active duty in 2003, that answer had changed, and Individual augmentation deployments on short notice were very common.

first thing you should understand, is that recruiters may not give you the full story no matter what questions you ask.
Second even if they are completely honest, the answer applies today, and past performance doesn't predict the future very well if at all.

Good luck
i want out(of IRR)

I just don't see the point of asking the recruiter any of these questions. On the off chance they do understand what you're asking, and actually know the answer, the answer that you'll actually get will be 9/10ths spin and 1/10th information. For example

Does your branch force a GMO year if there is no residency match?
If you ask this you will probably be told "over 95% of HPSP students match into one of their top 3 choices". Now what he means is that 95% of HPSP students match into one of their top 3 choices for INTERN YEAR. He doesn't really understand that there is then another round of applications to be allowed to finish off your residency training, and that at that point many docs are shunted into GMO programs. On the other hand, the % of docs in a given service that go through GMO tours is something you can learn very easily if you just ask it on this forum.

With your HPSP program, can I take a residency in a private hospital?

This is another one where the answer is "maybe" and the recruiter will tell you that. What he won't tell you is the odds. So the answer you'll get will be "yes, it's possible to be granted a deferment for your residency training". The neutral, correct answer is "there is about a 1/100 chance of getting a deferment for your residency training". But he won't say that. Heck, odds are he doesn't even KNOW that.

IMHO what you should ask for from the recruiter is a copy of the service agreement that you're going to sign. For everything else don't bother.

It's always nice to hear from Galo...I've read most of his posts, and while it didn't deter me from HPSP, it definitely gave me a voice of experience to consider. Where you been, Galo?

Thanks, ActiveDutyMD. I did search before posting, but did not find that gem amidst the rhinestones. Signal in the noise. What have you. :)

So I asked my questions (and some from the above link) and while the Air Force recruiter didn't have all the answers (in terms of hard numbers on percentages and # of residency spots, etc) he did offer to look up what he didn't know. Here's the interesting things he did say in answer to my questions. I asked mostly about the HPSP.

• Average AD deployment is 4 months ... max is 12 months. "Most are 4 months though".
  • "The Air Force has no GMO ... closest thing is flight surgeon." But you have to apply specially for that.
  • Residency in the civilian sector is possible (no #s) if there is no match in your stated specialty within the AF. Otherwise, off to TX, FL or CA with you.
  • Commissioned Officer Training (COT) is the AF's OIC, and it lasts for 6 weeks (but you're usually done in 4 weeks). It's done on your first "available" summer and can be pushed back if you have an internship or summat.
  • On the "officer first, doctor second" mentality: in the AF it's more of a "dual hat".
  • "There is no chance you will deployed until your residency is completed." COT is the only "interruption" of your studies. Chance you will complete straight-through training is 100%.
  • You can cross-deploy to other branches as an MD, but not as a GMO -- you will always be within your specialty. It may be part of a JTF or you can volunteer if you want to go into the suck.
  • HPSP covers basic tuition, books, lab fees, a $1992 monthly stipend, and health insurance. #s 2, 3, and 5 are done via reimbursement.
  • Upon residency completion, you earn Captain's salary, around $4k per month. That's it. No more until you make major. You can sign on for a rather large per-specialty bonus, but that can tack a year onto your MSO!
  • He is providing me with contact info for AD and NAD MD "champions" who have done the program, but have no way to put me in touch with folks who have done it and separated after their obligation is complete.
  • He is emailing me a copy of the service agreement.
  • Yes, EM docs can feel their skills atrophy, unless they choose to deploy to Iraq.
  • The slots for the HPSP have been filling up quickly, and are 1C1S. So better get movin' on the paperwork for next year.
  • There is a minimum MSO of 8 years for the HPSP. The residency does NOT count, though time spent on externships (weeks at a time) does. The AD does, and once AD is complete (one-to-one for years covered under HPSP) you switch to Non-Active Duty. No one is called up from NAD, except for pilots (to his knowledge).
Feel free to chime in if he was misleading. Thanks! I'm not currently offering any "I believe what he's saying" or "I think he's feeding me the Kool-Aid" commentary at this point, just reporting.

Now I'm off to other threads (for now) to see how everyone else has interpreted this, supported it, or argued against it. :)

Thanks, ActiveDutyMD. I did search before posting, but did not find that gem amidst the rhinestones. Signal in the noise. What have you. :)

So I asked my questions (and some from the above link) and while the Air Force recruiter didn't have all the answers (in terms of hard numbers on percentages and # of residency spots, etc) he did offer to look up what he didn't know. Here's the interesting things he did say in answer to my questions. I asked mostly about the HPSP.

• Average AD deployment is 4 months ... max is 12 months. "Most are 4 months though".
  • "The Air Force has no GMO ... closest thing is flight surgeon." But you have to apply specially for that.
  • Residency in the civilian sector is possible (no #s) if there is no match in your stated specialty within the AF. Otherwise, off to TX, FL or CA with you.
  • Commissioned Officer Training (COT) is the AF's OIC, and it lasts for 6 weeks (but you're usually done in 4 weeks). It's done on your first "available" summer and can be pushed back if you have an internship or summat.
  • On the "officer first, doctor second" mentality: in the AF it's more of a "dual hat".
  • "There is no chance you will deployed until your residency is completed." COT is the only "interruption" of your studies. Chance you will complete straight-through training is 100%.
  • You can cross-deploy to other branches as an MD, but not as a GMO -- you will always be within your specialty. It may be part of a JTF or you can volunteer if you want to go into the suck.
  • HPSP covers basic tuition, books, lab fees, a $1992 monthly stipend, and health insurance. #s 2, 3, and 5 are done via reimbursement.
  • Upon residency completion, you earn Captain's salary, around $4k per month. That's it. No more until you make major. You can sign on for a rather large per-specialty bonus, but that can tack a year onto your MSO!
  • He is providing me with contact info for AD and NAD MD "champions" who have done the program, but have no way to put me in touch with folks who have done it and separated after their obligation is complete.
  • He is emailing me a copy of the service agreement.
  • Yes, EM docs can feel their skills atrophy, unless they choose to deploy to Iraq.
  • The slots for the HPSP have been filling up quickly, and are 1C1S. So better get movin' on the paperwork for next year.
  • There is a minimum MSO of 8 years for the HPSP. The residency does NOT count, though time spent on externships (weeks at a time) does. The AD does, and once AD is complete (one-to-one for years covered under HPSP) you switch to Non-Active Duty. No one is called up from NAD, except for pilots (to his knowledge).
Feel free to chime in if he was misleading. Thanks! I'm not currently offering any "I believe what he's saying" or "I think he's feeding me the Kool-Aid" commentary at this point, just reporting.

Now I'm off to other threads (for now) to see how everyone else has interpreted this, supported it, or argued against it. :)

1) False. The average medical deployemnts have been moved up to 6 months with the exception of certain specialties that require a certain caseload that would not be met on deployments (i.e. CT Surgeons). In their case, they would deploy for a shorter time, but more frequently. I am still deciding which is worse, especilly when you have kids

2) False again. The Flight Surgeon is a GMO and you don't apply to become one. If you don't match into a residency, you will become a Flight Surgeon automatically unless you are medically disqualified from flying. in this case you would become a GMO. This has been discussed ad nausem.

3) False again. Wow this recuriter definitely knows their ****. As in how to trick the naive, unsuspected pre-med. If the AF does not approve for a specialty you can apply for it. As an example, lets say you are applying to radiology, but there are only 10 approved positions that the AF is granted. Now, lets say all 10 positions are to be tarined at Wilford Hall and David Grant. if you don't match into one of these 10, you will be a GMO. they will not let you apply for a civilian position because they don't need civilian trained radiologists (This is just an example, so I hope you get the point).

4) True.

5) False. It may be dual hat, but you are always Officer first, Doctor second. However, I really can't think of any ways that this has prohibited the care I have given to my patients. Maybe others have anecdotal stories to the contrary, but I don't.

6) True and False. While you won't be deployed during residency, what exactly does your recruiter mean straight through? It they mean meverybody gets a residency out of med school, this is false. There is a roughly 25% chance that your training will be interuppted after your internship year and you will have to serve a minimum 2 year GMO tour.

7) Generally true, but you may find this harder than you think.

8) Don't know. Have been out the HPSP program for 4 years now.

9) False (depending on what you are doing). As an O-3 GMO/FS, I also get ASP (15K/year), VSP (5K/year), and flight pay (150/month). If you are in residency, you get the VSP if you are done your internship year, otherwise no other bonuses. Specialty pays happen after you finish residency.

10) That is pretty much bull****. They just want to make sure they are not getting you in touch with anybody that will bad-mouth the program.

11) EM docs can get skill atrophy, even in Iraq. Most need to moonlight to keep up skills that I heard, unless you are stationed at a MEDCEN (and even then it is questionable)

12) False. Externships (Med school rotations???) do not count towards your MSO. Military residencies can be applied to your MSO, but not your ADSC. As an example, if you are a 4 year HPSP and do a 4 year military residency and then serve 4 years as an Attending, you are done with your MSO. If you didn't match out of med school and just decided to serve your 4 year ADSC as a flight surgeon, you then owe 4 years of Guard/reserve/IRR to complete your 8 year MSO. While no docs have been called up from IRR, this always remains a possibility. Is this clear?

You can believe whoever you want to believe. Nobody is twisting your arm here and I have nothing to gain or lose from you accepting or declining the "scholarship", unlike the recruiter.