Questions to ask Chairman/PD without sounding like a fool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Transformers

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heading to a few research conferences in the coming weeks and might rub some elbows with some big whig derm faculty, including chairmen, during a poster presentation session.

Bottomline, I'd love to network/show interest in their program and get my foot/that tip wet a lil early when introducing myself to them. Besides the "hello, my name is Y, I'm from X school and applying to derm"....I'm unsure what are some fair-game questions to ask to ask Chairman/PD early on.

Obviously, there's no-no's (What's the resident's lifestyle, resident's salary/benefits, are transitional year's ok?!, how much cosmetic and procedural derm do you get to see?!) and perhaps google-able questions (hmm, what is your curriculum like, how many years is the residency)...so I'm kind of lost at what are reasonable questions to ask without giving a wrong impression to the Chairman/PD as to what one's underlying motives may be.
 
Heading to a few research conferences in the coming weeks and might rub some elbows with some big whig derm faculty, including chairmen, during a poster presentation session.

Bottomline, I'd love to network/show interest in their program and get my foot/that tip wet a lil early when introducing myself to them. Besides the "hello, my name is Y, I'm from X school and applying to derm"....I'm unsure what are some fair-game questions to ask to ask Chairman/PD early on.

Obviously, there's no-no's (What's the resident's lifestyle, resident's salary/benefits, are transitional year's ok?!, how much cosmetic and procedural derm do you get to see?!) and perhaps google-able questions (hmm, what is your curriculum like, how many years is the residency)...so I'm kind of lost at what are reasonable questions to ask without giving a wrong impression to the Chairman/PD as to what one's underlying motives may be.

Errr....I would not ask questions like this (i.e. any questions about their specific residency program). Just have your PI introduce you around as my "star medical student applying in derm this upcoming cycle". Talk about your research. They'll probably be the ones asking you questions, if any, and it'll be about your research.
 
Errr....I would not ask questions like this (i.e. any questions about their specific residency program). Just have your PI introduce you around as my "star medical student applying in derm this upcoming cycle". Talk about your research. They'll probably be the ones asking you questions, if any, and it'll be about your research.
Lol my PI wont be there
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad