Questions to ask current med student (NOT during the interview)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunaktunak

Reaction score
I am very fortunate to receive an interview for my top school at the end of the month. I was able to get in touch with a current MS4 at that school (I don't know anyone else), and I am meeting with them in a couple days. What would be some good questions to ask them in preparation for my interview? I've done my research based on what is on the school's webpage, but I want to ask some questions that aren't easily accessible online. Or instead of questions, do you think it might be a good idea to ask if I can use our limited time together for a mock interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if I could go back and do everything over again I think the only thing I would really care to ascertain is the quality of a school's clinical experiences as a M-3/4.

The preclinical years are all a wash. I highly doubt going to X vs. Y school makes much of an appreciable difference. But I can say for certain that the quality of a resident coming out of medical school can be shaped very heavily by where they went to medical school based on the quality of their clinical experiences. I would ask about what the role of the medical student on these teams was like. You need to have patients you're responsible for, rounding on, making treatment plans, and presenting on rounds. You want to be someplace where the patients are sick enough you'll get a variety of those experiences.

I wouldn't ask to do a mock interview. Just ask how they thought of medical school. They're at the end of their time, so they should give an honest assessment. I know you just want to be offered an acceptance, but take this as a chance to really figure out if this is your top school.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I am very fortunate to receive an interview for my top school at the end of the month. I was able to get in touch with a current MS4 at that school (I don't know anyone else), and I am meeting with them in a couple days. What would be some good questions to ask them in preparation for my interview? I've done my research based on what is on the school's webpage, but I want to ask some questions that aren't easily accessible online. Or instead of questions, do you think it might be a good idea to ask if I can use our limited time together for a mock interview?

It is NOT the med student's job to give you a mock interview! It's your job to find someone who will do that.
Read this:
  1. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user