Questions to ask interviewers/school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iammrprez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are some good questions to ask your interviewers or the school of pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol! Red flag much?

Hah yeah. In reality I would go to all the schools you applied to and go to the FAQ page. Find questions that are listed on some pages, but not others. Or just ask questions already on their FAQ page. Ask about the overall NAPLEX pass rate, the pass rate for the past few years, rotation placement, job placement, postdoc.

Hah yeah. In reality I would go to all the schools you applied to and go to the FAQ page. Find questions that are listed on some pages, but not others. Or just ask questions already on their FAQ page. Ask about the overall NAPLEX pass rate, the pass rate for the past few years, rotation placement, job placement, postdoc.

I would not recommend asking for statistics.. Ask questions that the interviewer would actually have a knowledge of or may take an interest in.

Ask about research opportunities and community outreach programs through the college of pharmacy. Ask about clubs and events. Anything that shows you want to get involved. Don't just go in and ask about NAPLEX and job placement and things which you won't see for another half decade...

Hi,

What are some good questions to ask your interviewers or the school of pharmacy?

The GOLDEN question that I always ask at any interview is... "What are your criteria of an exemplary/good _____" in your case... insert student.

I asked several questions, to a point where they had to stop me. I asked, "how has pharmacy as a career affected you and your family?"

The interviewee should always ask open ended questions to which the interviewer is likely to have pertinent information about subjects which are not readily available on the school/program's website. Asking about NAPLEX pass rate (when its publicly available) is like going to a CVS interview and asking the interviewer "So what products do you sell here?" Those questions will not put you in a favorable light because it indicates a) that you have not done your research on the school b) have no meaningful questions to ask and c) that both indicate you are not a discerning student.

Students should be as discerning in their choice of school as schools are in their applicants selected for admission.

During my interview I had the opportunity to ask questions. I commented on the school's high NAPLEX pass rate and asked if the accelerated nature of the program played a part in that.

I asked my interview what her favorite thing about being a clinical pharmacist was. She was really pleased with the question and it really helped make the interview more relaxed. Sometimes they just want to see that you have a personality. By the way, I was just accepted ED to this school last week!

"I see students graduating from school X are extremely successful based upon residency placement X% and NAPLEX pass rate X% for first time test takers, research Etc etc etc. What particular aspect of the program leads to the production of such qualified professionals?"- YOU

"It is the great professors, blah blah blah, and the rigor of the program" -Professor doing interview

You can ask a follow up question based on what the professor said be it about the work they do, what the other esteemed professors do, research that interests you, talk more about your future goals. As stated by another poster, this is the time to test the waters at the school, is it right for you? Is this school up to snuff, and of appropriate caliber for you?

My supervisor suggested I use this method, and I think it's a pretty nice trick: when the interviewer asks if you have any questions, if there are any pressing things you wanted to share with them, turn it into a question for them.

For example, let's say you researched the school you're interviewing at and they didn't ask you anything about their school. When they ask if you have any questions, maybe ask something along the lines of, "Would you like to know why I decided to choose this school?"

I was a bit wary of using this method, but it proved quite useful in my interview, and I feel it demonstrated my genuine interest in my school.

Just a suggestion! Maybe this will help you :)

If you have an idea of what kind of pharmacy you want to do, I like to ask where their students get placed around the country.
Also, specific questions about the university shows that you have done your research about their program and and more interested in attending.
My first interview ran long and there was no opportunity for more questions, so it'll depend on the interviewer.

My supervisor suggested I use this method, and I think it's a pretty nice trick: when the interviewer asks if you have any questions, if there are any pressing things you wanted to share with them, turn it into a question for them.

For example, let's say you researched the school you're interviewing at and they didn't ask you anything about their school. When they ask if you have any questions, maybe ask something along the lines of, "Would you like to know why I decided to choose this school?"

I was a bit wary of using this method, but it proved quite useful in my interview, and I feel it demonstrated my genuine interest in my school.

Just a suggestion! Maybe this will help you :)

Hmmmm... At first I thought that this might be akward - but I guess this would be a good way to make a point to the interviewer if the opportunity did not arise during the interview.

Strange, but effective I guess. It seems that the success of this method would depend on your tone when asking the question. Because it could come off as being arrogant.