Questions to ask on the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomedaySoon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum...I'm currently a gensurg intern, planning to switch to FP next year (if I get a spot!)
I would like your advice on what questions to ask, topics to discuss and topics to avoid. For surgery interviews, it was all about number of cases, types of cases, trauma and no mention of family, balance or hobbies, except sports. What should I expect it to be like for FM? I don't want to be too stiff, nor do I want to seem lazy or too relaxed! I am also not sure what program-specific questions I really have because I don't see myself having many choices (beggers can't be chosers!)

I am interested in how the services are run, the teaching philosphy, resident-resident and faculty-resident interactions, program stabilty, electives offered, med student teaching.
Call, hours, benefits, etc are also important, but obviously not questions for the PD!

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

All the interviews I have been on so far have been COMPETELY laid back and you can ask whatever you want. FM docs just want to know that you can communicate with other humans and laugh. They honestly want to get to know you. I've been asked more about how I spend my free time with no questions about medicine. Welcome to FM!

It's probably not too late to get a couple of interviews right now for July 08, especially if you are a US grad with credentials to get a gen surg categorical spot. I would call/ email programs and ask. All they can say is no... they know they will be getting cancellations in Jan as applicants get tired of interviewing.

good luck and welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm new to the forum...I'm currently a gensurg intern, planning to switch to FP next year (if I get a spot!)
I would like your advice on what questions to ask, topics to discuss and topics to avoid. For surgery interviews, it was all about number of cases, types of cases, trauma and no mention of family, balance or hobbies, except sports. What should I expect it to be like for FM? I don't want to be too stiff, nor do I want to seem lazy or too relaxed! I am also not sure what program-specific questions I really have because I don't see myself having many choices (beggers can't be chosers!)

I am interested in how the services are run, the teaching philosphy, resident-resident and faculty-resident interactions, program stabilty, electives offered, med student teaching.
Call, hours, benefits, etc are also important, but obviously not questions for the PD!

TIA!

Welcome to the fold! I think you've got a good set of questions there, you can't go wrong simply asking the questions to which you want answers. Having gone through intern year you likely have a much better grasp on what's germane than I do.
While asking about hours/call may be touchy, it was a subject that was important to me and one I didn't avoid with PD's. If you're working so hard it impinges on learning that's obviously a problem. A handful of the programs I interviewed at were considering a cap on admits, etc. to cope. There were also one or two programs that fell on the other side, in that I felt the patient volume wasn't high enough. Another question I also asked is how the program dealt with a resident leaving, since statistically it'll happen during your stay. Best of luck!

While asking about hours/call may be touchy, it was a subject that was important to me and one I didn't avoid with PD's. If you're working so hard it impinges on learning that's obviously a problem. A handful of the programs I interviewed at were considering a cap on admits, etc. to cope. There were also one or two programs that fell on the other side, in that I felt the patient volume wasn't high enough. Another question I also asked is how the program dealt with a resident leaving, since statistically it'll happen during your stay. Best of luck!

I would ask residents about work hours/call. Some attendings may be old school about the issue and think anyone asking about it is lazy. Probably helps that they don't take call themselves. Residents especially interns on the other hand know that asking about call/hours is a legit question as they are currently dealing with it.

I would ask residents about work hours/call. Some attendings may be old school about the issue and think anyone asking about it is lazy. Probably helps that they don't take call themselves. Residents especially interns on the other hand know that asking about call/hours is a legit question as they are currently dealing with it.

Good point, but do you want to work for someone with that mentality? I did usually just ask residents but I certainly wouldn't shy away from the subject if it came up during conversation with the PD.

Thanks for all your support!
I went on an interview last week, loved it and was offered a contract for next year!!!! I am really excited to join my new "family!"

Well done! The interviews are actually quite pleasant, aren't they?!

Ask if they have night-float. Most do these days. It's a much better system than q4 call (disclaimer: I've only done NF).

Recommend steering away from any programs that are "transitioning" to a new system of night float. There's usually lots of bumps to work out.