Questions to ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sooner8890

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview 12/12. I was wondering what are some good questions to ask the committee. I don't want to ask the typical questions about pass/graduation rates!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview 12/12. I was wondering what are some good questions to ask the committee. I don't want to ask the typical questions about pass/graduation rates!

Many times the interview panels will have students on them and they are a great outlet for your questions that don't necessarily have to do with the school itself. For example, you could ask a student how their adjustment to school went and what they would have done differently if anything.

If any of the faculty on the panel are alumni of the school you are interviewing at you could ask them why they chose the school.

Are these the kinds of questions you were asking about?

I hope these help!

Best of luck!

If you have an attending interviewing you, you could ask "How will the Affordable Care Act effect the proffession?" IMO it shows your interest in podiatry extends from getting into pod school, and starting to wonder how are you going to be able to practice podiatry once you graduate your residency.

I did and received a great response from the 2 interviewers. Just a suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Please keep ideas coming.

I'm looking for any type of question to ask the panel. I don't want to leave the interview without leaving a good impression esp after they ask, "Any questions or concerns?"

Why don't you think of your own questions to ask the panel? Seriously, you are asking people to give input, so you can impress the adcom. If you want to impress them, think of something thoughtful and insightful. I know its very improbable, but they could be reading these boards.

Asking about passing or graduation rates is not a bad question to ask, this will be costing you 50K a year all in all and 4 years of your life, you better be dam sure they are preparing you.
First off ask what you really want to know, there has to be something you want to know (in all honesty the student ambassadors usually have more info that you want to know). If you do need some fluff questions here are some ideas, do they dual degree programs or research, what research are you doing, what is they schools 5 year plan, have there been any major changes in the previous 5 years, do you practice now, what research do you perform.
Honestly though ask the student ambassadors anything, they will give you the "real' lowdown or other gems of wisdom i.e. which books you need to buy and which one you really do not, where to live. Most of what the committee or faculty have to say can be looked up online.

Best of luck to anyone asking about board pass rates, graduation rates, dropout rates, etc. Most schools aren't transparent - they are asked these questions by every interviewee.

Recognize that the sort of statistics the schools throw at you may not mean what you believe. Dropout numbers may be lower because students are repeating grades and classes on a slower track.100% residency placement - that doesn't mean 1st choice or that people didn't scramble and it could even mean "of those who passed boards" or "of those who met our eligibility requirements". Not that this necessarily matters since in the end its all on you, but take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Not to be a broken record (freedom), but ask about the schedule for 3rd and 4th year. Ask when you can do clerkships/externships and where you can do them. Clerkships are your clinical opportunity to gain experience, visit residencies, and audition/shine. My understanding is that you want the freedom to do residencies where you want to do them and when you need to do them - which is before match. I seem to recall interviewing somewhere that told me I would need to spend the first 6 months of my 4th year in the same city. No thanks.

Ask the ambassadors if you'll be able to learn in the manner that you wish. Is class mandatory? Who is available to help you when you get in trouble. Are professors doors open? Who helps to teach in anatomy lab? Professors? TAs - older students? What red tape is present that drives them crazy (I'm probably being naive that this would get an answer)? Is there enough parking? What do they pay in rent? How do they get medical care? What are the online resources like? Do teachers make all resources for a class available to you online? Do they feel they receive excellent teaching and training?

I asked questions that all personally related to me and not podiatry. I asked about weather, nearby outdoor activities, quality of people in the city, safetiness, need for car, etc.