Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Questions

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by onesmoothcrr, Dec 11, 2008.

1. onesmoothcrr

How much will the PCAT weigh?

i took the 08 oct PCAT and received

Verb 92
    Bio 88
    Read 93
    Quan 99
    Chem 96
    Composite 98
    Writing 2.0/3.0

I understand these are good scores. However, i have some special circumstances. I have a 3.4 GPA, but it was mainly due to my fourth year. I was playing poker fulltime and promptly failed two courses. (I know, not very smart) Right now i am in the process of a petition for those two courses, which would give me a 3.6 GPA. I do not have any pharm working experience, but do have some clinical volunteer experience and 3 summers of research.

Is my writing score something to worry about? Also how long is the PCAT valid for?

And what are my chances with or without the petition?

2. drugdoc

drugdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Get some pharmacy experience - volunteering or shadowing is just fine, if you can't pick up a job. Also make sure to write an incredible personal statement, and pick up some leadership positions if you don't already. As well, volunteering if you don't have any. You should have a good shot with your stats and the above. Remember, much better to have a well-rounded candidate than to be exceptional in a couple of areas and nothing in other areas. Lacking substancially in any area may be a red flag for the AdCom.

3. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The importance of the PCAT score will vary from school to school, at UK it supposedly counts equally to the interview and the GPA (each 1/3). Were the classes you failed pre-reqs?

4. hardrunner

hardrunner resident pharmacist
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    YOu have nuthing to worry about. Your scores look great! Some schools require you to write an essay as a part of the interview, so you have a second chance to prove your writing skills. What did you use as study materials?