Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

onesmoothcrr

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much will the PCAT weigh?

i took the 08 oct PCAT and received

Verb 92
Bio 88
Read 93
Quan 99
Chem 96
Composite 98
Writing 2.0/3.0

I understand these are good scores. However, i have some special circumstances. I have a 3.4 GPA, but it was mainly due to my fourth year. I was playing poker fulltime and promptly failed two courses. (I know, not very smart) Right now i am in the process of a petition for those two courses, which would give me a 3.6 GPA. I do not have any pharm working experience, but do have some clinical volunteer experience and 3 summers of research.

Is my writing score something to worry about? Also how long is the PCAT valid for?

And what are my chances with or without the petition?
 
How much will the PCAT weigh?

i took the 08 oct PCAT and received

Verb 92
Bio 88
Read 93
Quan 99
Chem 96
Composite 98
Writing 2.0/3.0

I understand these are good scores. However, i have some special circumstances. I have a 3.4 GPA, but it was mainly due to my fourth year. I was playing poker fulltime and promptly failed two courses. (I know, not very smart) Right now i am in the process of a petition for those two courses, which would give me a 3.6 GPA. I do not have any pharm working experience, but do have some clinical volunteer experience and 3 summers of research.

Is my writing score something to worry about? Also how long is the PCAT valid for?

And what are my chances with or without the petition?

Get some pharmacy experience - volunteering or shadowing is just fine, if you can't pick up a job. Also make sure to write an incredible personal statement, and pick up some leadership positions if you don't already. As well, volunteering if you don't have any. You should have a good shot with your stats and the above. Remember, much better to have a well-rounded candidate than to be exceptional in a couple of areas and nothing in other areas. Lacking substancially in any area may be a red flag for the AdCom.
 
YOu have nuthing to worry about. Your scores look great! Some schools require you to write an essay as a part of the interview, so you have a second chance to prove your writing skills. What did you use as study materials?