Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambient

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, as I have recently just decided to look into the military to fund my dental education, so I have some questions. I am starting dental school this fall and would like to do the HPSP, but I am pretty sure it is already too late in the game. Is it possible this late? Could I get the scholarship for D2,3, and 4 if I don't get it for D1?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of posts about this. Recruiters can fill in the blanks if you can't find what you are looking for. Good luck. Oh and yes you can get a 3 year scholarship.

Lots of posts about this. Recruiters can fill in the blanks if you can't find what you are looking for. Good luck. Oh and yes you can get a 3 year scholarship.

for some reason, when i went in to my recruiter's office for finger prints, she mentioned that Army might no longer offer anything other than 4 years HPSP. Can someone else comment on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason, when i went in to my recruiter's office for finger prints, she mentioned that Army might no longer offer anything other than 4 years HPSP. Can someone else comment on this?

Nearly every person who comes into the US Army Dental Corps did an HPSP scholarship. I would say based on my experience that over 95% of them did a 4 year residency. There are still 3 year scholarships in the US Army and no change will be done until October 2010 at the earliest because that is the date of the new fiscal year for the US government. All new bonuses and scholarships are renewed or changed then. Hope this helps!

The scholarships will look the same as this past year. There will not be any set 1 or 2 yr HPSP scholarships - however if someone wants to do those they will consider them case by case.

They will have approximately 50 3 yr HPSP scholarships that will go very quickly. They will have about 80 4 yr HPSP scholarships next year. If someone has started dental school this fall, they will not normally go back and award someone a 4yr HPSP once they have started. However that person can take the 3 yr HPSP and the $20k sign on bonus for a 4 yr obligation.