Quick and easy questions about SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question.

Question #1:
After reading up on SMP's, i understand that the SMP students will take the same classes as the freshmen medical students, as well as the same exams. So is being labeled "SMP student" the only difference from the freshmen medical students?

Question #2:
If the SMP student finishes their first year of the SMP program and gets accepted to medical school, will he/she start medical school as a freshmen or a sophomore?

Question #3:
Why is it that students apply to medical school WHILE they're still in the SMP program? Isn't this pointless to do since medical school won't even know how you're doing in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a stupid question.

Question #1:
After reading up on SMP's, i understand that the SMP students will take the same classes as the freshmen medical students, as well as the same exams. So is being labeled "SMP student" the only difference from the freshmen medical students?

Question #2:
If the SMP student finishes their first year of the SMP program and gets accepted to medical school, will he/she start medical school as a freshmen or a sophomore?

Question #3:
Why is it that students apply to medical school WHILE they're still in the SMP program? Isn't this pointless to do since medical school won't even know how you're doing in the program?

#1 In most SMPs you take core 1st year medical school classes(biochem, physiology, neuro and etc), I don't think their schedules are exactly same.

#2 You will start as a freshman some schools will let you transfer credits from SMP but your tuition will stay the same as other M1's

#3 Not every SMP's recommend same year application (BU and TUFT don't). For schools that do recommend same year app, they usually send out transcripts, LORs to schools that you are applying to after 1st semester.

#1 In most SMPs you take core 1st year medical school classes(biochem, physiology, neuro and etc), I don't think their schedules are exactly same.

#2 You will start as a freshman some schools will let you transfer credits from SMP but your tuition will stay the same as other M1's

#3 Not every SMP's recommend same year application (BU and TUFT don't). For schools that do recommend same year app, they usually send out transcripts, LORs to schools that you are applying to after 1st semester.

Thanks for the reply!

#2. So if they don't let you transfer the credits, you will just retake the courses you took in SMP in your first year of medical school?

#3 Ah i see, and i assume they give out the letter of acceptance AFTER receiving all your grades?
Will they give out the acceptance letter in time for you to starts medical school right after you finish the SMP program? Or will there be a gap year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

#2. So if they don't let you transfer the credits, you will just retake the courses you took in SMP in your first year of medical school?

#3 Ah i see, and i assume they give out the letter of acceptance AFTER receiving all your grades?
Will they give out the acceptance letter in time for you to starts medical school right after you finish the SMP program? Or will there be a gap year?

#2 Yeah

#3 If you do same year app, and you get into the medical school, there will be no glide year

#2 - some schools will let you waive classes if you get certain score. At my school, the SMP students were exempt from one or two of our 4 class first year