Quick BCPM question, :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took some math courses at community college that were non-transferable to a 4-year institution. Since I kinda screwed around in these classes, I got Bs. My question is: Are these classes factored into my BCPM and/or my overall GPA (for med school). I hope not ... :(

Members don't see this ad.

MrDreamWeaver said:
Hi,

I took some math courses at community college that were non-transferable to a 4-year institution. Since I kinda screwed around in these classes, I got Bs. My question is: Are these classes factored into my BCPM and/or my overall GPA (for med school). I hope not ... :(
If those courses had a "MATH" designation for the course number, they'll go into both your BCPM and your overall. At least you got "B's" - that's a manageable problem.

grr :[

The UCs don't even count them toward my GPA so it seems silly of med school to do so. Oh well :c

Members don't see this ad :)
MrDreamWeaver said:
grr :[

The UCs don't even count them toward my GPA so it seems silly of med school to do so. Oh well :c
Any course at a community college is easy. If you got a B, you deserve it. I hate people who chicken out and take these courses at easier institutions. I had a friend that got rejected, taking all his courses at a 4 year inst. and ended up with only a decent/good GPA (~3.8). But, someone else in his class got accepted w/ the same exact stats, except GPA, because he took LOTS of courses at a community college (GPA ~ 3.98). Only got like, 1 B! How unfair is that! They both had 27 MCAT scores and both had good ECs, but the one with easier courses gets accepted?

Bulsheet.

PittMedicine said:
Any course at a community college is easy. If you got a B, you deserve it. I hate people who chicken out and take these courses at easier institutions. I had a friend that got rejected, taking all his courses at a 4 year inst. and ended up with only a decent/good GPA (~3.8). But, someone else in his class got accepted w/ the same exact stats, except GPA, because he took LOTS of courses at a community college (GPA ~ 3.98). Only got like, 1 B! How unfair is that! They both had 27 MCAT scores and both had good ECs, but the one with easier courses gets accepted?

Bulsheet.

Life is not fair. +pity+

Any course at a community college is easy.

I have to disagree with this. I think that's way too general a statement. The hardest classes of my entire college career were at a community college, Gen Chem I and II. I got A's but I really had to work for them. I have had friends that have gotten B's in Calculus I at their community college and gone on to get A's at their state university in Calculus II. Also, Professors often hold full-time positions at 4 year institutions and moonlight at community colleges on the side. My Gen Chem classes at the cc were taught by an NC State professor (Chem I) and a Duke professor (Chem II). So, I think it depends on the community college.

PittMedicine said:

Bulsheet.

ehh? a 3.98 with a 27 mcat? i don't believe it.

I also think that Community College classes are much easier. WHY? Becuase when student cannot pass a course at their 4 Year Institution, where do they go? To a Community College.

Doctormo24 said:
I also think that Community College classes are much easier. WHY? Becuase when student cannot pass a course at their 4 Year Institution, where do they go? To a Community College.
I really, REALLY disagree with this (respectfully, of course!). Not everyone has a 4-Year institution available - and this type of anti-CC thinking is what I know has hurt me with out-of-state applications. I live in a metropolitan area of nearly one million people but, for many years, there was no public 4-Year education available here. That's why Tulsa Community College (TCC) was established. Things have changed - we now have at least 4 public 4-Year institutions in this city but - TCC was so well-established that all of the other schools that have come here offer only junior/senior level courses and graduate education. The public 4-Year's all have transfer agreements with TCC and they have a lot of input on course content and standards. TCC has one campus (out of four total) that has specialized in pre-health science. Great facilities, beautiful labs, and a dean who has insisted on quality teachers.

Now, if I had wanted to "shop" for the "right" CC teachers, I could have taken blow-off courses - I wouldn't even disagree with your premise that CC's are quite often easier. But, what bothers me is-- it's not *universally* true. My entire pre-med education prior to my MCAT was at a CC at night. I feel that, if I came through with decent scores in PS and BS on the MCAT, I certainly must have learned *something*.

I agree with Non Trad-tulsa. Some of us had no choice but to take all of the lower division classes at a CC.

The point that you are trying to make is lost on me Pittmedicine. You're telling me that because you friend took the "harder classes" and had a worse GPA, that should mean something? It seems to me if they got the same MCAT scores, the education they recieved was, at the very least equal. If the education at the four year school was that much better, you would expect a better score.

By the way, I took gen chem. O chem, physics, and gen bio at a CC and did better than both of the people in your example.

PittMedicine said:

Bulsheet.

Get over it. If they both have 27 MCATs then they are good to go. Relax

pittmedicine said:

Bulsheet.
doctormo said:

Get your act together. I didn't attend a 4-year University simply because my family could not afford it. Community College was a perfect alternative. This way I could work 50hrs+ per week and attend school at the same time. My time is up and I've saved enough money to attend a 4-year University. I'm sick of those of you who stereotype CC students as idiots. I worked damn hard for my grades.

Get out of this thread if you don't have anything relevant or nice to say.

if the cc classes are that much easier and everybody knows it, then they wouldn't be able to transfer. THEY AREN'T EASIER! are there some advantages to a cc to make them appear easier? yeah. smaller class sizes, more teacher contact, less stupid questions, etc. but that doesn't make the content any easier.

MrDreamWeaver said:
Hi,

Not only are the classes factored in, but you are expected to better in community college classes than university courses, for obvious reasons.

Don't worry. Only C's should cause you problems---B's won't be a big deal at all.