quick cat question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dark_horse

the DaRk HOrsE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before everyone yells at me, I'm taking my cat to the vet when they open tomorrow.....with that said: I was wondering if I need to bring anything with me in addition to my cat. I was playing with her, and she was running and jumping around when she started panting..that's ok. Then that turned into more of a wheezing and "hairball" sounding cough. This lasted for about a minute, and then she calmed down and is doing well now.

I know cat asthma is really common and can be very serious. Are there other conditions that present similarly?
Is there anything else I can do tonight for her until tomorrow's appointment?
thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

we cannot give any advice- forum rules. this thread will probably close shortly due to the nature of your post. with that being said... as far as going to the vet tomorrow, it never hurts to bring a fresh stool sample. certain parasites do travel through the lungs so it is not a bad idea to bring one, just in case.
that is about all we can say as far your kitty goes. good luck!
one more thing... is your kitty on heartworm prevention?

Why don't you just call the clinic you're going to and ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know cat asthma is really common and can be very serious. Are there other conditions that present similarly?
Is there anything else I can do tonight for her until tomorrow's appointment?
thanks for the help!

Yes, other conditions present similarly. Asthma, pyothorax (abscess around the lungs), heartworm disease (do you use Revolution or other heartworm preventative?), neoplasia (cancer), FIP, heart failure - all these things can cause respiratory distress. Generally a cat in respiratory distress of any type is a big emergency!

Good luck at the vet's! Let us know what happens.