notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,737
1,901
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe one of you genius-types can clear this up for me. I'm reading conflicting information between texts I'm using.

What is the trend on the periodic table for effective nuclear charge? Examkrackers says that it increases going left to right and top to bottom.

Left to right is logical (more electrons in same shell, so no further electron sheilding plus more protons for attraction) but the top to bottom part is counter intuitive.

When you go down a period, you're also adding a new shell, so the electrons are further away and there is more sheilding effect. I realize you have slightly more protons, but that couldn't offset it. Is this a typo in Examkrackers?
 

doublehh03

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
944
144
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
notdeadyet said:
Maybe one of you genius-types can clear this up for me. I'm reading conflicting information between texts I'm using.

What is the trend on the periodic table for effective nuclear charge? Examkrackers says that it increases going left to right and top to bottom.

Left to right is logical (more electrons in same shell, so no further electron sheilding plus more protons for attraction) but the top to bottom part is counter intuitive.

When you go down a period, you're also adding a new shell, so the electrons are further away and there is more sheilding effect. I realize you have slightly more protons, but that couldn't offset it. Is this a typo in Examkrackers?
i think it increases across a period (so that's right) but DECREASES down a group b/c like u said, e- are then starting to fill up the d and f orbitals
 

Condeeleza Rice

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
13
0
Status
it increases from top to bottom but coloumbs law takes over from top to bottom. Remember F=kq1q2/r^2
 
About the Ads

Polodog21

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
26
0
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
doublehh03 said:
i think it increases across a period (so that's right) but DECREASES down a group b/c like u said, e- are then starting to fill up the d and f orbitals
double is right!
 

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,915
4,166
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
notdeadyet said:
Thanks, all!
I wrote a post about this in the gen chem explanations thread in the MCAT subforum that you may want to talke a look at.
 
OP
notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,737
1,901
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks, Q. Are we not in the MCAT subforum? Do you have a thread title, by any chance?
 

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,915
4,166
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
notdeadyet said:
Thanks, Q. Are we not in the MCAT subforum? Do you have a thread title, by any chance?
No, this is the main MCAT forum. If you look at the top of the MCAT forum page, you will see a subforum called "Study Questions Q & A." That is the MCAT subforum. I have set up question threads in there for each MCAT subject, as well as explanations threads for each subject. These do exactly what you'd expect them to do. The question threads are for studiers to ask us questions, and the explanations threads are explanations of various topics in each MCAT subject. Here is the link to the General Chemistry Explanations Thread. Hope you find it helpful. :)
 
About the Ads