Quick FAP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to next year's applications...

Is it possible to not fill in the 'parental information' section of the FAP application? Especially if I have no parental support?

(Briefly, my father left the family years ago and hasn't spoken with me for years. My mother recently moved to the other side of the country and does not support me financially.)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you just need to send them a letter and documentation that your parents provide no support to you (witness letter suffices).

For estrangement yes, not sure about just not providing financial support if you're still in contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ true, didn't consider that.

My parents haven't supported me financially for years, I'm married and had been living on my own for quite some time before that, but we're not estranged so I still had to provide their financial data (which meant I couldn't get FAP).
If you're estranged from your father and can provide documentation to that effect, then that factor can be taken out. For your mother, sounds like not though. So FAP would depend on whether your income + hers divided by family size is less than (if I'm remembering correctly) 300% of the poverty line.

Reactions: 1 user