Quick Fun Relevant School Year Questions :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Good evening! My University already started classes last week, probably earlier than most other schools. As I was doing my first homework for the semester I got curious about people's study habits and wanted to throw some questions on here. If you've got a minute try some of them, and feel free to post other questions you might be wondering. I think it'll be fun XD

1. How do you manage all the papers, handouts, notes from past semesters? Do you throw them all out? Sort through and keep important ones? Or just pile them somewhere?

2. Do you like to take digital notes or take notes by hand?

3. In general, do you prefer studying by yourself or with others? Which way do you study better?

4. Do you take breaks regularly, or do you just study till you feel tired/distracted? How long do you usually study before taking a break, and what kinds of things do you enjoy doing during study breaks?

5. Do you listen to music while studying/doing homework? What kind of music?

6. How much studying for a class do you do regularly V.S. a week or so before an exam? Aka how much cramming do you do XD (Be honest!)

Happy studying! For those of us heading into a brand new semester, cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

1. How do you manage all the papers, handouts, notes from past semesters? Do you throw them all out? Sort through and keep important ones? Or just pile them somewhere?

trash

hand

3. In general, do you prefer studying by yourself or with others? Which way do you study better?

by myself

4. Do you take breaks regularly, or do you just study till you feel tired/distracted? How long do you usually study before taking a break, and what kinds of things do you enjoy doing during study breaks?

take mini-breaks every 30 min, watching netflix, eating snacks

No music, it distracts me

6. How much studying for a class do you do regularly V.S. a week or so before an exam? Aka how much cramming do you do XD (Be honest!)

0 regularly (aside from mandatory hw assignments)... about 3-5 hours of cramming depending on difficulty of class

Reactions: 1 user
1. I use OneNote mainly, any paper gets thrown out or destroyed in my backpack.
2. Digital (OneNote)
3. By myself usually for 1st pass, others can help before tests because you can be taught/teach depending on what each person doesn't understand.
4. I try to take scheduled breaks but sometimes I just can't focus and other times I'll stay focused for a really long time. So I just go with the flow. I am 10x more efficient in the morning so I try to get the bulk of my studying done then.
5. Depends on what I'm doing, generally no. If I really don't want to study sometimes I'll throw on Lofi Hiphop or some piano music because it makes me less miserable.
6. I try to spread my studying out because I use Anki so it sort of just manages everything for me after I make the cards, then I just have to do them. Although I usually end up studying a lot the night before.

Trash, but that's only because where I live it's hard to find a legal way to set them on fire (which is what I did in high school).
Digital notes of lecture info that's not on the lecture slide, as I review I retake notes by hand.
By myself first, in groups to cram
My schedule is set in a way where I have 30/45/60/75min chunks that's too short to go home or to work, so I study in these chunks.
Only if I want to get less work done (sometimes I need that low-key feeling. Instrumental music only)
I don't want to cram, but I also need some group studying and it feels like everyone else wants to cram, so I have to cram with them. I definitely ramp it up right before a test, but that's because the first few weeks of every class are review and there's nothing to study.