Quick O Chem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey im trying to help my friend study and i find myself without a book and unable to look up a pretty simple problem.

1,3 butadiene reacted with Br2 over Methanol at -15C. What are the 4 products and what are most stable?

I know one of you out there know! Help me save some time!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you just get a 1,2 and the 1,4 addition. Since you're doing it at low temp (and it's not a radical reaction -- low temp, no light, I assume), you get more of the kinetic product, which is the 1,2. But someone else should check this. I forgot about half of my o-chem the day after the MCAT.

Does it say they are reacted with 1 molar equivalent of Br2 or excess Br2? This makes a difference because its a diene.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its only 1 Br2 The hint says that each product contains 1 pi bond. Sorry i forgot to include that. But it says they have 4 unique products which is tricking me up, i can only get to.. the 1,2 and 1,4

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it off the top of my head personally, and right now I've got my own ochem to study for :) But, I can't see four different products unless there is either a ring formation or (the more likely) a resonance structure that is forming two of the minor products. 1,3-butadiene is conjugated so can have resonance.

Oh, :) I think its just the 1,2-addition and the 1,4-addition but the enantiomers of both. :D haah That gives 4 products.

FOUR PRODUCTS FORM

Product 1
1-bromo-(R) 2butanol
Product 2
1-bromo-(S) 2butanol
Product 3
CIS 1-bromo-4 butanol
Product 4
Trans 1-bromo-4 butanol

The R and S forms(Product 1 & 2) are the most stable. The products of 1,2 addition(Products 1 & 2) take place because the reaction is in cold temperature(hence kinetic).