sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Can anyone comment on which program would be better suited, everything else aside, for the best MSK/Pain Fellowship opportunities, Mayo or Spaulding. I understand people are residents at these programs, and you do not want to say "you are better than the other guy", but I just want a consensus opinion from the people on this board. Thanks.

paz5559

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2004
Status
sixteenstones said:
Can anyone comment on which program would be better suited, everything else aside, for the best MSK/Pain Fellowship opportunities, Mayo or Spaulding. I understand people are residents at these programs, and you do not want to say "you are better than the other guy", but I just want a consensus opinion from the people on this board. Thanks.
Tell us SPECIFICALLY what you are interested, and we can give you a more definitive answer

OP
S

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
paz5559 said:
Tell us SPECIFICALLY what you are interested, and we can give you a more definitive answer
Sorry. I would like to know:

1. Which place I would get better MSK training.

2. Which program would make me more competitive/has more opportunities in and around the health system for getting a pain managment fellowship.

Thanks.

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
I think they are both excellent - probably about equal. I guess you crossed out RIC off your top choices??? Which is a shame since Joel Press is probably one of the major players in the world of MSK/Pain.

I'm not sure how much the "MSK training" during residency matters... I spoke to a fellowship director who said that he/she could teach a monkey how to inject but it's really the personality and drive of the person that makes him/her attractive to a fellowship director. Fellowships are almost like apprenticeships - you work pretty closely with the fellowship director so if you don't get along, it really doesn't matter how great your CV looks. It also doesn't hurt to have a "name" in the field write a letter or make phone calls for you. I believe there are "name people" at most of the top programs in the country, Spaulding and Mayo included.

And in terms of opportunities within the system - both programs have several pain fellowships available - through PM&R and Anesthesia.