Quick question about hospitalist job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two quick question(s) about the Hospitalist job search:

1) I always see posts about not using recruiters because they take a cut of your first year salary. What counts as "recruiters"? If I find a job posting using a site like PracticeLink or PracticeMatch, does that count as a recruiter? If I want to work for healthcare organization X and that organization/hospital group has an "in-house recruiter" (/hiring manager/etc.), and if I speak with that person, does that count as a recruiter?

2) When is the right time to start applying for a position in 2021? Does it matter for academic vs non-academic positions? Is there an "academic year" for non-academic positions? Is there a downside to applying too early?

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you go on practicelink and respond only to the left tab - employer jobs - those are in house recruiters and they should be employed by the hospital/clinic/system. Those don't take a finder's fee. I've rarely seen jobs that won't be available online directly that you need a recruiter for. So I try to avoid recruiters when I'm searching if possible.

2. Never too soon, make sure you ask for some up front signing money though. As a sign of good faith.

I wouldn't worry about them keeping a portion of your salary, I believe anything they quote you would be AFTER that.
Start now, for sure. Up to 3 months for credentialing (although has sped up with COVID situation), and can always say start date up to a year away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two quick question(s) about the Hospitalist job search:

1) I always see posts about not using recruiters because they take a cut of your first year salary. What counts as "recruiters"? If I find a job posting using a site like PracticeLink or PracticeMatch, does that count as a recruiter? If I want to work for healthcare organization X and that organization/hospital group has an "in-house recruiter" (/hiring manager/etc.), and if I speak with that person, does that count as a recruiter?

2) When is the right time to start applying for a position in 2021? Does it matter for academic vs non-academic positions? Is there an "academic year" for non-academic positions? Is there a downside to applying too early?

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

The hospitals, from what I've seen, are the ones who bear the burden of the fee. Whatever you are quoted is likely what you will be paid. That being said, if we knew the rate the hospital was paying the the locums company, we could split the difference and get paid more by the hospital and not pay anything to the middleman.

I interviewed my second year of residency and was able to get paid a sign on bonus during my 3rd year (25K) and a commencement bonus

Reactions: 1 user