What should I consider before getting a job as hospitalist/outpatient? or as Heme/onc hospitalist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) So I applied this year and didn't get in so far. I was told that I should look for heme onc hospitalist jobs. Can someone tell me how to go about doing that? When I google "Heme Onc Hospitalist" Jobs, it mainly comes up with jobs for heme/onc doctors, not hospitalists working with heme/onc. What other avenues should I consider? I called some recruiters-like on Doc Cafe and Comp Health and they have not heard of it. Are there any non traditional fellowships that I should consider?

2) Just in general, what should I consider, about jobs in outpatient for IM. Can an outpatient heme/onc facility hire me as a "heme onc hospitalist?" Is your first job, your forever job? how does the 401K thing work? Will I be forced to hand over my sign on bonus and abandon my 401k if I leave the practice? In general is there a steady way to save for retirement, if you know for a fact that you may be switching practices after 2 years for example?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you still in residency? What fellowship did you apply for this year ? (heme/onc?) NRMP fellowship match results come out in November/December so seems a bit premature to conclude that you didn't get in if you are applying this year.

Heme/onc hospitalist jobs tend to be mostly at academic medical centers and are pretty limited, so you'll have to look for openings at the few academic institutions that have them. They are almost non-existent at community hospitals (and it sounds like that's what you were looking at). They tend to be mostly for new IM grads who plan to pursue heme/onc fellowship down the line but didn't match straight from residency. If your goal is to get into heme/onc fellowship but are concerned you may not match the first time, this is a reasonable option. The other would be complete a one-year non-ACGME fellowship in a related field first (Eg Transfusion Medicine) or do a research year, but obviously the financial costs of those will be much higher. If your residency program has an in-house fellowship, would try to see if you can get in internally; if not then it will be harder.

Would generally advise against doing outpatient IM if your plan is to go into fellowship. in 1-2 years Outpatient practices will take some time to build up and require some commitment to staying at that job for a while to make sense. However, nowadays it is being extremely uncommon for anyone's first job out of residency to be their "forever" job. If you leave early, what you have to pay back should be stated in your contract, but almost all jobs have some provision in the contract saying that if you leave before a specified time period, you have to pay back at least part of your sign-on bonus (sometimes it's prorated; at some of the more malignant places they'll want you to pay back all of it). It's uncommon to have to pay back 401K contributions (which usually should be rolled over to another account when one changes jobs).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are you still in residency? What fellowship did you apply for this year ? (heme/onc?) NRMP fellowship match results come out in November/December so seems a bit premature to conclude that you didn't get in if you are applying this year.

Heme/onc hospitalist jobs tend to be mostly at academic medical centers and are pretty limited, so you'll have to look for openings at the few academic institutions that have them. They are almost non-existent at community hospitals (and it sounds like that's what you were looking at). They tend to be mostly for new IM grads who plan to pursue heme/onc fellowship down the line but didn't match straight from residency. If your goal is to get into heme/onc fellowship but are concerned you may not match the first time, this is a reasonable option. The other would be complete a one-year non-ACGME fellowship in a related field first (Eg Transfusion Medicine) or do a research year, but obviously the financial costs of those will be much higher. If your residency program has an in-house fellowship, would try to see if you can get in internally; if not then it will be harder.

Would generally advise against doing outpatient IM if your plan is to go into fellowship. in 1-2 years Outpatient practices will take some time to build up and require some commitment to staying at that job for a while to make sense. However, nowadays it is being extremely uncommon for anyone's first job out of residency to be their "forever" job. If you leave early, what you have to pay back should be stated in your contract, but almost all jobs have some provision in the contract saying that if you leave before a specified time period, you have to pay back at least part of your sign-on bonus (sometimes it's prorated; at some of the more malignant places they'll want you to pay back all of it). It's uncommon to have to pay back 401K contributions (which usually should be rolled over to another account when one changes jobs).
If he didn’t get any interviews…prolly knows he won’t match.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) So I applied this year and didn't get in so far. I was told that I should look for heme onc hospitalist jobs. Can someone tell me how to go about doing that? When I google "Heme Onc Hospitalist" Jobs, it mainly comes up with jobs for heme/onc doctors, not hospitalists working with heme/onc. What other avenues should I consider? I called some recruiters-like on Doc Cafe and Comp Health and they have not heard of it. Are there any non traditional fellowships that I should consider?

2) Just in general, what should I consider, about jobs in outpatient for IM. Can an outpatient heme/onc facility hire me as a "heme onc hospitalist?" Is your first job, your forever job? how does the 401K thing work? Will I be forced to hand over my sign on bonus and abandon my 401k if I leave the practice? In general is there a steady way to save for retirement, if you know for a fact that you may be switching practices after 2 years for example?
Have you considered a one year fellowship like hospice ? Or a chief year?

Hey,
Yes I am still in residency. how do I know which institutions offer heme onc hospitalist jobs? I looked at the university systems around me and I didn't find any. I googled "heme onc hospitalist" or hospitalist in heme onc and they both didn't bring up results. I'm thinking to contact ASH . . .and ask help? I looked through NEJM career website as well. Do you have any other ideas?